Malifaux Movies?

elysium64

Being a film buff, I am always interested in finding films that provide inspirations for my favourite gaming settings.

So I thought I would ask people for films that they feel in some way reflect elements of Malifaux, obviously this will be easier once we get our hands on the rulebook.

I will try to start off with a few films that may inspire scenery building and scenario ideas, look forward to finding films new to me.

Gangs of New York gives an idea of what the city of Malifaux might look like.

Sleepy Hollow great gothic atmosphere

Sweeney Todd instead of making pies, maybe he is killing customers for reserectionist experiments?

Wizard of Oz escape from an alternate reality

Alice in Wonderland as above

Sukiyaki Western Django just a great weird western

The Good The Bad and The Ugly, Deadwood...... Frontier towns

Edited by elysium64
forgot something

Six String Samurai is a bit more post-apocalypse, IMHO. I mean, it's awesome, don't get me wrong.

A couple key themes stick out for me in what I've seen of the Malifaux fluff. There needs to be a sort of creeping dread about the place. Trapped in a truly alien environment, with a bunch of violent lowlifes and business looking to keep everyone in line by whatever means necessary. Necromatic conspiracies, unimagined horrors lurking just out of sight, waiting for you to make one mistake.

The other key theme is magic. Everything in Malifaux is suffused with magic, corrupting, twisting, bending. These aren't the high arts here. But even the bartender at the local watering hole is going to know a small trick or two. And you can't always rely on what your senses tell you.

A few movies spring to mind, even if none of them are westerns. City of Lost Children is a really creepy world, very foreign and complex. And you never quite get a sense of the whole picture, only that there is a lot going on that doesn't really fit. Another good choice is Pan's Labyrinth, a creepy fantasy flick with possibly the best Neverborn I've seen on film. Lurking danger, forgotten kingdoms, obscure magical rules, etc. Check it out. The Spiderwick Chronicles is a decent kids movie. Too bright for Malifaux, of course, but it hits on a lot of the set pieces.

It's not a movie, but the TV show Deadwood gets the non-magical side of things. An almost-completely lawless town on the edge of nowhere, actively resisting efforts to tame it, and violently so. (It helps that the writing is excellent, and the characters are a treat.)

Another show to reference was Twin Peaks. Everything was just sort of... off. It's one of David Lynch's trademarks. Even everyday scenes would feel out of kilter, and no one does creeping dread quite the same way.

Edited by Scorpio