Lutyens Cathedral Model

Bexley

For the lazy.

Conserving the Lutyens cathedral model

cathedral_paintings_studio.jpg

The Lutyens cathedral model in a conservation studio

An incredible model

The wooden model of Sir Edwin Lutyens' unbuilt design for Liverpool's Catholic Cathedral is one of the most elaborate architectural models ever made in Britain, second only to the ‘Great Model’ of Sir Christopher Wren’s rejected design for St Paul’s. It is an example of a tradition which has now been superseded and whose techniques have largely been lost.

The model was made at the suggestion of Lutyens, in order to demonstrate the design in three dimensions and to assist in fundraising. It was shown to great acclaim at the Royal Academy, London in 1933. However, when the project was abandoned due to spiralling costs, the model was put into storage.

A major conservation project

When the model was gifted to the Walker Art Gallery in 1975 it was in poor condition with considerable damage, caused by years of handling the heavy but delicately detailed parts. Important parts of the exterior had been lost including spires, belfries and the intricate lantern that had surmounted the dome. The model had been cleaned leaving it with its present ‘faded’ appearance.

The conservation of the model took place between 1992 and 2005, supported by contributions from many individuals and a major grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, made in 1997. A small team rarely numbering more than two have consistently worked through this enormous project. When you realise that just the tiny lantern surmounting the dome is made of 900 separate pieces of carefully crafted wood, the lengthy timescale may be understood.

The conserved model was displayed for the first time in the exhibition The cathedral that never was at the Walker Art Gallery in 2007. The exhibition has now closed but there will be another opportunity to see the model on display in the Museum of Liverpool, which is due to open in 2010/11. The model will be one of the key exhibits in the People's City gallery.

Further information

Follow the links below to read more about how the model was conserved and see pictures of the conservation work in progress.

The image on the main page doesn't do it justice- people can fit inside that thing.

Oh I know. I've been looking at it. If there were a reason to do something that scale I think a lot of terrain builders could. I could even do it out of wood. I have the necessary tools. It would take a LONG time though! :D

It is certainly a beautiful piece though!

Now THAT would be a collaborative project! And worth it too.

Maybe it's time to start talking to architects who want a really nice model of one of their signature buildings!

How about the Guggenheim Moa? That would be a good challenge! Of course to be true to form we will have to use similar materials so there will be a rather large metal component to the project but the end result will be worth it I think.

What do you say to getting it done by August? (Yeah right. But it sounds good doesn't it? Not going to happen though so any of you that thought it might stop that line of thinking NOW)