Okko the Game

Moavoamoatu

I have been a bit silent on the forum these last weeks. I was busy with a new project.

As I am playing Okko the boardgame, I decided to create a terrain for this game (far better than cardboard tiles to play with miniatures).

Here is the result.

You could find more photos on this blog (in a few hours as I have to update it) :

http://unofficial-okkothegame.blogspot.com/

IMG_1382.jpg

IMG_1390.jpg

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

IMG_1397.jpg

IMG_1384.jpg

IMG_1391.jpg

IMG_1383.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

Thanks Ambrose. You will find such photos (inside and details) in the blog this evening.

The roof is made with Plastruct spanish tiles in O scale.

The floor tiles are homemade with balsa (all the wooden parts are balsa wood) and the stones are carved in Depron and extruded polystyrene.

Those who read the Okko comics could find this fort in the 4th book.

http://uk.comics.ign.com/objects/868/868039.html

http://www.archaiasp.com/okko.php

Edited by Moavoamoatu

I looked at your thread on the Okko forums. I'll have to have my wife translate for me. She is fluent in French <grin>

Did you cover the polystyrene with something before painting? It looks like it is higher density stuff then the pink or blue polystyrene that we get stateside but it could just be a similar product with out the coloring.

I personally prefer to add either wall joint compound or Duehams Water Putty (A non shrinking powdered material that you mix with water. Dries in about 15 minutes) to my polystyrene after sculpting and texturing to mask any irregularities.

I have seen people get great results with out the added step though.

Did you scribe the rock lines in with a pen or were they cut out with a knife?

We used to have different extruded polystyrene in France: orange (a bit "sandy"), green (high density) and now I can only find yellow one which is very high density.

I didn't use much wall joint (in fact the thing you use before applying paint on walls to get a flat surface) on it as I didn't want it to be too heavy (I had to mask some cuts only and the joints betwwen polystyrene sheets). First I sand the polystyrene so it doesn't have a shiny surface (the paintjob is easier this way as long as you use brushes like me and not sprays or airbrushes).

Then I melt it a little bit with a heater (I don't know the english name but it is used to scrap paint with heat). It gets a "stone" texture with this step and it hardens the polystyrene. Then you sand it a little again and you can paint it.

All the rocks or tiles are scribed with a pen or a pencil (no knife at all except to sculpt large rocks).

But if you have a look at my previous Alkemy temple I painted straight on polystyrene after drawing stones and sanding it.

Then I melt it a little bit with a heater (I don't know the english name but it is used to scrap paint with heat). It gets a "stone" texture with this step and it hardens the polystyrene. Then you sand it a little again and you can paint it.

It's called a heat gun in English.

I'll have to try this process. It gives a surprisingly even result that is still convincingly random. Very nice.