Emperor's Champion and Reaper Dark Heaven cleric

Althai

Hi. This is my first time posting pictures here apart from a couple of contest entries, since I usually frequent the Privateer Press boards. I recently painted a couple of non-PP figures that I was hoping to get C&C on, and since PP only allows PP minis on their boards, I came here. They aren't Wyrd minis; I hope that's okay.

The first is a GW Emperor's Champion mini:

champ1ze6.jpg

champ2be1.jpg

champ3pg7.jpg

champ4if0.jpg

He's missing his backpack; I forgot to check that the paint stripper I was using was safe to use on plastics, so he'll have to wait a few weeks for a replacement. I'm pretty happy with the color scheme and how the whites came out, and somewhat less happy with the metals. I'll probably paint something on his shoulder at some point, but I wasn't sure what. I considered a black templars cross, but those are a real pain to get symmetrical. I also considered a rose, but I thought that combined with the purple gems it might not be manly enough.

Next up is (IIRC) a Reaper Dark Heaven miniature. Unfortunately, I can't remember what the mini is, and they have around 60 pages of miniatures, uncategorized, so finding the name of the mini might prove difficult. Let me know if you recognize it.

cleric1tu9.jpg

cleric2xr8.jpg

This was one of my first serious attempts at OSL, so let me know if you have any suggestions for improving it. (Unfortunately it doesn't really look right in front of a white background.)

Anyways, please give me your comments and suggestions!

David

Edited by Althai

on reapers site you can use the figure finder to find something very quickly, I must say tough this one took me a little longer to find, It is a converted Warlords miniature actually (tough possibly it could once have been dark heaven, many minis make the jump from that range to warlords.)

this one :

http://www.reapermini.com/FigureFinder#detail/14267

General Matisse, overlords warlord.

found him on my second search for paladin (wich was also my first search, but I looked in the dark heaven row for something different ;))

offcourse

thats not the info you are asking for :)

Most notably Id see 2 things, one in each mini, that I think can be narrowed down to the same advice (altough honestly, I cant do it better, heck, I never get much past priming ;))

on the WARLORDS miniature :P it seems to me like you are doing source lightning from the hammer ? but it looks like partial frostbite (offcourse, if thats the intention in the first place call me a moron, and a job welldone.)

I think this would be solved by a smoother transition in the hair (and maybe a very thin ray going higher as well, because his hair seems to be of the'l'oreal commercial type.) his face would probably also capture some lighting (wich makes the difference between light or substance on the hair.) and you should do more what you allready did with the leg in the cloak -> increasing the contrast between lit and unlit.

on the space marine the same goes for the bronze weathering, right now it looks more like dirty bronze than old bronze (that said, real old bronze probably would look more like that.) exagerate the bronze on outer/higher edges and exagerate the green in cuts.

with that being said, I purely react because of the reaper fig-finder, I hardly comment on painted miniatures, because I paint so little myself Im never sure whatever I would say would be usefull or anything.

one last addition would be photography related, you work very light and grained colors, so it might be better to have a darker and higher saturated background to make them stand out, the broken white on the spacemarine is very nice and marbly, but its hard to notice because its only slightly darker than the surroundings (and as its white, it probably should be lighter -> so darker surroundings :))

Hi pieces like this are more than welcome. .. nice introduction with two nice pieces.. The pics are a little small to give any real constructive critique but I agree with illustrange on the photo background and also the transition on the hair of the cleric guy.Really ike the white armour of the emperors champ suits the mini great ad overall both pieces look very nicely done.