Next! Now step by step...

Guest The_Brain

Guest The_Brain

Hey there,

just got motivated so i started a new miniature. It is my first commission ever. For a company, Assasine Miniatures. So you probably know i wanna get better...I think its time for doing my painting step by step to see where i do some mistakes and where i can improve...

I started with priming my miniature: First Chaos Black Spray Primer by GW, then a Shade of Skull White Spray Primer above it.

Front:

primed_front.JPG

Back:

primed_back.JPG

As you can see she isnt that beautiful ^^

*are the pictures too big?*

Then i went on, doing a basecoat of GW Snakebite Leather on all NMG parts.

gold_step1.JPG

Next step, i startet to blend Parts at the front: Using thinned color, 1:2 - 1:4, of Vallejo Scrofulous Brown. Then i used Vallejo Gold Yellow and white. ( of course with steps between that, e.g. Gold Yellow + white ).

gold_step2.JPG

Picture didn´t got that good...

Going on like this painting more parts and making the blendings more smooth with glazes of different colors i used for Gold ( Gold Yellow, Snakebite Leather ).

gold_step3.JPG

I also used Blacklining to define the Goldparts.

Well this took me 1 and a half hour...

So, give me some hard criticism and/or tipps which can be done better, where can i improve and so on.

Greetings

Brain

ps: I hope it is ok to do this kind of presentation and using my Member Gallery?

Guest The_Brain

Well im not finished and don´t plan to finish it before i got the other stuff round it finished. But i´m so sloppy i probably paint the Gold on the Clothes aswell :P

As the next step i will do the flame and begin to do the basecoat of the clothes. Her dress will be done blue, the flame red. So i got a nice Contrast between the red osl/flame and the blue dress.

Guest The_Brain

Ok, heres the stuff i did the last days:

First of all i started to paint the Flame/Fireball, starting with a Gold Yellow Basecoat. Read some tutorials so i learned: In the middle the flame got the most energy ( Yellow, White ), At the highter Points and the Points more outside it has less energy and therefore i used orange ( Fiery Orange ). Normal flames don´t have red, but "hey, it´s magic" :P So i added some final "Highlights" with Gore Red ( not sure because the writing on the color vanished ). I´m not sure wether i´m done with the flame yet. Probably going to smooth it out a bit later.

Additionaly i painted her dress using GW Enchanted Blue as a basecoat. For Shadows and Highlights i used Black and White. Thinned it a bit with water to apply the first steps, and then added more water to smooth it out. And i experienced that i hate blue, at least working with it :P It took me a very long time to get some smoothness, yet im not sattisfied. But i will go on with it when i paint the other parts which become blue.

The front:

frontwip1.jpg

The Backside:

backwip1.jpg

And her side:

sidewip1.jpg

Greetings

Brain

I am really enjoying watching this one progress, Brain. Keep it up! The NMM gold is great, although I think taking the shadows a bit darker would help. In the photo, the left wrist I think is best IMHO. Taking the rest of the trim to that level would help to get it to pop.

Of course, take this as my opinion--I typically use metallics and have only attempted NMM once, hehe :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The_Brain

Hiho,

Actually i should paint a lot because i have vacation/holidays, but im pretty ill so i sleep all day. Luckily i could paint a bit today so i started to work on the OSL. Just made some thoughts about it:

The SL is NOT as bright as the Object.

It´s actually just a blending like any other stuff.

All those parts are covered which i can touch with, for example, a pen, starting from the Object and just move around*know what i mean?* Same works in my case with the eye, just look from different angles and you´ll see which parts you can see ;)

And there always remains at least a shade of the color of the environment, in my case her cloak, which is blue.

Now my first try didn´t go that good, because it´s too yellowish. Started to mix up blue and orange. What comes out are a lot of green-tones and weird looking stuff. Well now just as any other vlendings i started to add a little of the green-blue stuff on her arm. Going on with a greenish color and then adding the last part, orange-green and orange. Of course i used some more steps between.

The colors i used have been GW Enchanted Blue and Vallejo Fiery Orange.

It did not look very bright so i just went on blending the orange*plus a shade of blue* with yellow*plus a shade of blue*

While doing those blendings i don´t always wait till the color drys. That´s the way i do it

---------part with blue------->still wet

-----------------------part with green-blue----------->still wet

---------------------------------------part in green--------------------->still wet

And i just paint "in" the not dry blue part, which makes the blending easier...

And here´s the latest picture of here, with a too bright OSL...

OSL11.jpg

Greetings,

Brain

Edit: The blue of her dress does not turn out very well...It actually has more shadows and more highlights than in the pictures above

Guest The_Brain

Hey there,

I was yesterday on a Paint-Meeting or something, means we all went to a guy to paint together. Of course i worked on my Sorceress:

colage_wip1.jpg

I mainly worked on the OSL trying to have more blue and more flame colors, which actually means i have to blend on smaller room. At the moment i like the way it comes out...

Secondly i worked on the Gold, smoothed the blendings on her front and started to work at her back.

Seeing the Makroshots of her, i have to work some more on the blue, it´s still to "rough".

At last i tried to turn the flame a little more orangelike using some glazes ( i used color:water, 1:8 ) of fiery orange. Then i added some yellow in the middle and worked the blendings a bit more out.

And i started to catch some thoughts about the basing, but have no real clue what could turn out good. Any conclusions?

What do you think of here ?

I'm very much enjoying the step-by-step osl process. Nice to hear someone's thoughts on what they're doing as they do it.

One thing that I think would improve it for me would be to make the base and heart of the flame lighter, closer to white. I think this would make it look even hotter. Other than that, liking what I see so far. Looking forward to the next installment.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest The_Brain

Hey there,

Finally could get my hands on the brushes again. Now as it´s a comission I actually can´t choose what to paint, but at the moment i enjoi painting her OSL and i gathered yet so much Experience painting her that it was a good idea to take the comission.

Got her ...well whatever it is... painted. It´s that stuff in the cream-color ( GW Bleached Bone, shades with Graveyard Earth ).

As for the OSL i tried it first with red, because i thought: Kind of more away than her arm, so i will use red instead of orange. But mixing Red and Creamstuff together turned out to be a bad idea :P.

Now i could have done hours of layering to have that effect, but i thought: Shut up, it´s magic and just used my good old Fiery Orange which imho turned out very good. I also added more Blacklining using a 1:2 or even 1:1 mix of color/water.

As for the next step i tried to improve the blue, but it went worse -.-. I kind of need very fast new brushes ( and new colors, want to try out painting the blue with the aquivalent of Vallejo ( atm using GW enchanted blue ) ). So yes, thats it for the moment.

Colage_wip2.jpg

As for the future i will do the blue, then Blacklining, then the Gold. At least that´s the plan, don´t know wether i stick to it or not ;)

Greetings

Brain

Edited by The_Brain
I forgot her pictures ^^

• 1 month later...
Guest The_Brain

Hi all,

Long time since i made any progress because i had a lot of problems with the blue, since i couldnt paint it properly... The mixture that works is: Reagl Blue by GW for the shadows and Enchanted Blue by Vallejo for Highlights. Each with some more or less drops of white/black.

neuecolagefastfertigqp2.png

Thats her, bad pictures because my lamp is broken atm.

Its all more or less WIP, but i see at least the goal now :P

Greetings

Brain