Looking for constructive critism

hubbabubba

Eek. It's hard to give constructive criticism when i like it so much!!

You've achieved a very toned down, low contrast piece, but I think that is a plus. It gives it a realistic grittiness to it...and it's one you don't often see in association with the Eldar.

Now, the small complaints I would say is the brown on the cloak is too flat, and the metallics are too uniform in color. It makes it hard to distiguish the different areas of it. Lastly, there is a bit of a sheen on the whole piece.

It's not a piece that immediately grabs your attention the way the high contrast, almost cartoony style does, but it has much more depth and weight to make it a real world presence.

Welcome to Wyrd!

I rather like this one, you go with a dark, gritty look compared to a lot of the pieces we see and I'm a fan of this type of painting as well. You're obviously accomplished at painting as everything is very clean and crisp.

Metallics, I'm a NMM fan myself but I do like to see metallics that have been well done. I think perhaps a bit more highlighting or hotspots on the weapons would be welcomed in order to bring a bit more attention to them.

It's up to more accomplished painters than me to critique further cause you've blown past me in ability! I do like the flesh as well as the bit of color with the red gem.

Point by point:

The face looks great, the transition to the hair look weird though. you'v got darklining all around it. If you look at someones face you'lll see shadows where the hair is hanging over teh skin, but not where it's actually growing out of the skin. Given that his hair is pulled straight back I'd recommend ditching the darklining and instead feather your hair color over your skin tone, and glaze a little skin tone in over the edges of the hairline.

I cant really see the cloak well enough through the light reflections to give a good critic on it, but what I can see has interesting textures that I like.

The buff color looks good and smooth but appears to be in need of sharper highlights. Not brighter, just sharper. The ones on the backpack look good, the ones in front with their rounded surfaces need the same touch.

My main complaint on the metallics would be with Vike that they are too uniform. You've shaded the creavases, and the underside of the blade,

but you havent gone through and defined the shadow areas. there are no sharp toned shadows next to bright tones anywhere except on the blade. You could instead go through and add sharp highlights and if you wanted to go through and make your sword look like a different metal then your gun you could even do them in different styles. Defining the shadows on the gun without adding any more highlights, while adding a sharp set of highlights to the sword.

I hope that was helpful.

Point by point:

My main complaint on the metallics would be with Vike that they are too uniform. You've shaded the creavases, and the underside of the blade,

but you havent gone through and defined the shadow areas. there are no sharp toned shadows next to bright tones anywhere except on the blade. You could instead go through and add sharp highlights and if you wanted to go through and make your sword look like a different metal then your gun you could even do them in different styles. Defining the shadows on the gun without adding any more highlights, while adding a sharp set of highlights to the sword.

I hope that was helpful.

Can you explain that a bit more? (sorry hubba for the hijack)...

When you say 'sharp toned shadow'...so are you saying your deepest shade tone should be used right next to the highlighted areas?

Hmmm how to say this as opposed to showing it. It's so much easier to just show... Metal is reflective. it pics up shadows and highlights from things around it. A slightly more stylized geometric way of painting can sometimes get that across better then an ultra smooth blend. Sharp toned probably isnt the right word. sharp edged maybe?

I know, think of it this way. If you take your nice ultra smooth blend from deep shadow to bright highlight and then lay geometric patterns of shadow and highlight over that you can define the shape of your object better. Basically by a sharp toned shadow what I mean is one that has a hard edge on one side that transitions into a smooth blend on the other side. You know what, screw it. Let me show you. Hubbabubba, I hope you dont mind me messing with your picture to give an example.

Example1.jpg

Can you explain that a bit more? (sorry hubba for the hijack)...

No problemo...

Thanks for that all, I thinks that's some useful advise, looking at it, I can see that the metals are too uniform, and I haven't been able to resist going back to them.

As I understand it, what skya is basically saying, is to apply the same principles as NMM to the use of metallics... I'll let you know how I get on.

The hair line, noted, especially true I think with lighter hair colours too.

The sheen is from the Vallejo matt I used to seal it, but you don't notice it too much IRL.

@ Nathan, thanks for the welcome and the compliment, although I think your flatering the newbie he he.

Thanks all