Floquil All-Purpose Spray - Base White Figure-Primer

Thryth

Hello All,

I have read a number of articles/posts saying how great Testors white primer is, so I ordered a couple of cans of Floquil All-Purpose Spray - Base White Figure-Primer (which I hope is the same thing).

I'm having some trouble with it. In the past I have given two light coats with Citadel and Armory white primer which gave me good coverage. However when I do that with this primer I get almost a wash effect. The primer seems to puddle in the recesses and only coat the high-point very thinly. :( I spray about a foot away from the miniatures.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this not the same as the Testors primer?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I'm not an expert with spray-on primer, as I usually use a brush-on, but it sounds like you didn't shake the can enough. Could that be the problem?

Usually a minute or two has been fine with the other ones. I shook this a lot more than that. Thanks for the advice. I will try even more shaking. :)

• 2 weeks later...

It is very easy to overapply Floquil primer. Floquil is very "runny" compared to most common spray primers, and it also has a very long drying time (about 24-48 hours). Both qualities are disadvantages IMO, but the end result can be very good once you become comfortable with using Floquil.

Try using a single VERY THIN coat, and then giving it time to completely dry before doing a second coat if needed. Don't trust your eyes immediately after spraying the first coat. The primer, because it is runny, will settle into the recesses of the figure over the first several minutes.

I would lay the figure down on a flat surface and spray lightly over it once. Wait 24 hours or until dry. Flip the figure over and repeat. Then examine the figure and determine if it needs a second coat. If you are just trying to catch tiny missed spots, then don't spray it again or you'll overprime the rest of the figure--use brush-on primer to tidy up. If you see any visible runs, or pools, then you oversprayed--adjust how you spray next time to apply a thinner primer coat.

As messy and tedious as I probably made it look, it is not terribly difficult once you get used to it. Having said that...

...I prefer to use Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (available in white or light grey only). It does not run, and it dries in less than an hour. It is not cheap, but it is the smoothest primer I've ever used from a can. I highly recommend it as THE BEST PRIMER EVER. :bounce:

Hello,

Thank you very much for your advice. I will try this as soon as I get a chance.

BTW, I think that the first can that I had may have had a problem. I am on a second can now, and although it is still kind of running, it is much better than the first one.

- Thanks!

It is very easy to overapply Floquil primer. Floquil is very "runny" compared to most common spray primers, and it also has a very long drying time (about 24-48 hours). Both qualities are disadvantages IMO, but the end result can be very good once you become comfortable with using Floquil.

Try using a single VERY THIN coat, and then giving it time to completely dry before doing a second coat if needed. Don't trust your eyes immediately after spraying the first coat. The primer, because it is runny, will settle into the recesses of the figure over the first several minutes.

I would lay the figure down on a flat surface and spray lightly over it once. Wait 24 hours or until dry. Flip the figure over and repeat. Then examine the figure and determine if it needs a second coat. If you are just trying to catch tiny missed spots, then don't spray it again or you'll overprime the rest of the figure--use brush-on primer to tidy up. If you see any visible runs, or pools, then you oversprayed--adjust how you spray next time to apply a thinner primer coat.

As messy and tedious as I probably made it look, it is not terribly difficult once you get used to it. Having said that...

...I prefer to use Tamiya Fine Surface Primer (available in white or light grey only). It does not run, and it dries in less than an hour. It is not cheap, but it is the smoothest primer I've ever used from a can. I highly recommend it as THE BEST PRIMER EVER. :bounce: