Cindy's FF entries

cdukino

Well seems more folk are doing it so I'll join in. A personal word about the entries and how they came to be...

First my winged basti:

I really tried to get smooth blendings in here. Took the time and sat down to really try pushing my limits here on that. I'm a great fan of Marike Reimer, who painted a hell of a lot of the crocodile games miniatures, so I tried to get big contrast, soft colours and smooth blendings like her. Still a long long way to go, but it's a small step closer.

Because I wanted to concentrate on blendings I chose a relative simple not drown in details mini for it, resulting in the catlady.

I had just resieved a pack of reaper angels... so one angel lost his wings (more about this poor fellow later) and they got added to the catlady. I wanted something to add another colour, still soft and plenty of surface... wings did just that. And I have a weakness for angelic beings. Also one of my favorite egyptian deities is Isis... who is quite often depicted with wings to her arms. OK Bast isn't Isis not Horus... but if I wanna add wings... I will ;) Loved the Horus got frisky with Bast comment I got with this entry... so let's just keep it at that ;)

SSEntry1.jpg

Medusa and soon to be garden ornament.

Remember the poor soul who got his wings stolen for the catlady... well the poor bloke is getting it even harder... literally as he's the one being turned into stone on here. He was the most Greek looking miniature I had, so basically screwed ;) Re-sculpted his back, repositioned his limbs to make him more animate and re-sculpted part of his foot (man those cast on cloud-bases are a pain in the ass to remove). I had loads of fun painting him. Taking extra care to do the grey stone to flesh blends well as it kinda was the fail or succeed area of the effect. Happy with how it turned out. Satisfied with that I started painting the Medusa. Again cast on base was a bitch to remove... but if I'd integrated it in the base she would have towered to high above the guy... losing eye contact, making the interaction between the two figs less... so the base had to go.

I gave Medusa slightly "glowing" eyes as I wanted something demonic, inhuman there... and give an extra underscore to her stone turning eyes. I had painted regular eyes first with slits... but changed my mind pretty soon. The guys eyes wree a disaster to get right... Garrity sculpts have the tiniest eyes... not much fun to paint... but I found the fig to fitting to not use regardless. Couldn't get the expression on his face as scared as I wanted to... I did painted his closed mouth to apear a bit open to get a bit of the fright in. Not that it really shows on the pictures.

In retrospect I would have liked the base a bit bigger (but this was the biggest I could get at that moment and time available (they are 2 rackham monsterbases joined together), also a few more broken victim statue pieces would have been nice. Didn't have time to do so though. Probably never will anymore either, as this diorama now belongs to my mom instead of me.

DDEntry2.jpg

Biker girl

My first try at mostly black clothing. I agree with the comments that less grey in the highlighting might have been better to pull off a deep black shiny leather look. I however has some pictures of leather pants and such as inspiration... and most of them had quite a lot of grey area', but on the mini in retrospect less grey might have been better. Still for a first time mainly black clothing I'm pretty satisfied. But the reason I painted the fig in the first place was that I loved her face. Most work went in that. I used shading to alter the expression and exaggerate it a bit. I wanted her to have a cheeky, carefree "yeah-whatever"-expression which the sculpt already had a bit. Put tire tracks on the road to help the story along a bit further. Like someone drove away from her after dumping her there, and she is just calmly looking after him thinking... yeah, whatever... your loss.

The base was self sculpted, the fence as well... On the pictures the fence looks a little washed out... and truth told...in real life it could benefit from another highlight as well.

AEntry5.jpg

The 3 above all had a theme I wanted to practice in: blending, black clothing, stone to flesh effect (or I wanted an effect at least) and facial expression.

The other two entries were more done to get one fig in every category, though I still tried to paint them well, they didn't get as much attention as the other 3, which I think is visible... They are nice, but I never expected them to place or even get voted on much if at all.

(well didn't count on any to place for sure, though I had hoped medusa and the catlady might... never expected to do this well... but you won't hear me complaining :D ),

Vampiress: mainly a try-out in new skin recipe. Failed a few times and the painting got more rough then intended. I'm happy with the head though. I wanted to take pictures from more sides... but I had the stupid idea to see if my new varnish would work before taking more pictures... well... it didn't

FEntry1.jpg

I have a big lack of sci-fi miniatures so I had little choice for which one to enter (I think I had a whopping 2 miniature choice from my whole collection). Which became this one. I cut loose part of the whip to reposition it to break the 2d look of it more and gain some hight in the mini, and position it more natural ion my eyes. Again I concentrated mainly on the face, hair and some parts of the skin (mainly the chest area)... after that I kinda lost intrest, which shows I fear. I wanted to use bright non conventional colours on this one. The nmm definatly needs work on this one (the weakest point together with the whip in my eyes)... it's to rough and the highlights need to be taken up a few notches

SFEntry3.jpg

"Oh my god... all that rambling... won't she ever shut up...?" ;) Well I'm done (just noticed how much I wrote...hmmm).

There is some very sweet stuff there Cindy :).

Out of the bunch, the cat angel is my favorite. The paint job is good and the scene composition is excellent!

The medusa scene has a bit of a rough paint job (top part of the medusa and stone/flesh transition), but the idea behind it is well thought out and convinces in the end.

The biker girl's expression is great (love the eyes and skin tone) and the tire marks are a nice addition.