NEWS: New Mini Collectors Site

Hey everyone! RedGoblin here, some of you may have seen my posts in the General Discussion area regarding a website I've been working on.

The Mini Vault

When I started this website it was with the goal of giving mini-collectors a place where they could track their collections and their wish lists, but is has grown from there to include other services as well, such as Painting service profiles for those of you that accept commision painting jobs and will soon include a similar feature for Sculpting and Conversion service profiles.

With that said, these services will offer a way for users to provide feedback regarding the level of service they received from the Commissioned artists, similar to that of the ebay feedback feature.

As for the collection lists we are just now contacting the huge list of manufacturers we are compiling to solicit them for their complete figure lists, so bear with us...We currently have 143 figures listed in the vault for you to test your personal Vault out with.

While the site (The Mini Vault) is still in development I am nearing the point where I need feedback, suggestions to improve things and users to help test those features that are available to help make the site easier to get around.

My second reason for taking on this large undertaking was primarily because those services taht are currently out there, with large amounts of traffic seem to be VERY ill executed in terms of ease of navigation...Throughout the years I have asked this question over and over and it seems the majority of the community would agree that the large community sites are very hard to navigate at first and you really have to study them to know your way around. So my secondary goal was to create a similar service that would be pleasing to the eye and easy to navigate.

I am only announcing this sites existance to the Wyrd community because I find it to be very friendly and loaded with good folks. :)

So here is your chance to have some input as to how to develop the next large mini-community portal...I am all ears on suggestions so if you have ever wished that a website had this or that, which might aid you in your hobby (obsession) then now is the time to come over and let me know. Obviously I can't do all the suggestions people may have but I will do my best to implement as much as possible.

So come on over to The Mini Vault, make an account and tell me what you think.

Thanks,

RedGoblin

Your thoughts, comments, critiques will be read and considered so please don't hesitate to state your opinions.

That's a very cool site you've created and I really hope that people start to use it. Make sure to post about it at other places like coolminiornot, electric ocean and the jenova.dk forum.

Right now I'm getting some kind of error when I try to use it :(

Sorry about that...I was uploaded a file to the wrong directory. Like I said I am still working on it and unfortunately I don't have a testing server to do all my work on before uploading everything...so if I mess up the screw up is live...but everytime I make a change I check it immediately and if somethings wrong with the change I revert it and try again.

Sites good to go now. sorry about that

I am hoping everyone uses it, obviously. Make sure you check out the Mini Painting services if you are a painter...its like your own free little web page for a painting service.

I dont want to over post it yet because the main feature needs more manufacturers backing it up with their lists. But I do need some members to help with suggestions, and testing. So use whats there if you hve time and give me feedback. It can only help.

Thanks!

I'm real excited about this site, as I've said several times!

I can't wait until I can start building my 'vault' more.

As it is now, I just have 4 in there. All 4 of the Wyrd minis (which I officially got today!!)

Good luck and I'll keep checking it out.

Thanks Super!

Well Pr0fane from Dark Age Games will be submitting their list soon...All is looking good thus far.

I don't quite get it.

It looks like a nicely done site, but what's its purpose?

Plus, CPU resourses gone. Can't register.

I wanted to add Dark Ages Miniatures to the list (no, it's not the same as Dark Age Games).

The CPU error was due to bad code on my part and is fixed.

Purpose to the site:

Well we are planning on providing comprehesive figure lists that you can look through by company, sculptor, gene, race etc...Then check off what miniatures out of whats available you have collected (remember the chechlists that came with baseball card collections...its like that.) You can also mark them as Figures you want on a personal wish list. Along with that you can link to images of your painted figures and others can browse through the collection and leave you comments etc...

Plus we are not starting to code other services like individual painting, sculpting and conversion service profiles, so if you hire yourself out for commission work you can use our site (whcih we are hoping will have a large member base) and then those looking to hire a painter, sculptor or conversionist will have an easy way to find you.

The site is back up if you want to add that nameto the list.

Ok you can now browse eachothers Vaults and comment on eachothers figures. So knock yourself out...

I know there arent a lot of figures there yet, only 146 thus far, but Dark Ages and Hasslefree will both have complete lists shortly! So start loading those pics and commenting on eachothers images, and above all HAVE FUN!

RG: aka The Task Master

My Vault

Also sounds like it'll take a lot of space since each manufacturer presumably has a large compilation of photos (thinking of Reaper's site).

Thanks for the compliment vince.

As for the lots of space, we aren't actually hosting the images but rather linking via the companies image URL's. If we start getting LOTS of members and hits we will upgrade to a better hosting situation and if ad monies are there we will obtain a dedicated server for the service to handle all the bandwidth and then we will begin hosting all the images ourselves. As for user images you will be linking either to an image youhave stored elsewhere or you can use our interface to imageshack which we integrated into the site. So at this moment we aren't actually hosting any images for anyone other than the ones we need for the site itself.

We opted to go this route for the exact reason you point out...lots of space...so we'll use a service that was built to support it for now.

The only downside of that for me is that image hosting servers like image shack and photobucket are blocked by our firewall at work (some BS about personal file storage as a security risk) so I won't be able to see any of those images where I normally do most of my surfing.

:kabong:

However, count me in though! I think its a fantastic idea and will be participating as well. Kudos for all the hard work! :thumb:

The only downside of that for me is that image hosting servers like image shack and photobucket are blocked by our firewall at work (some BS about personal file storage as a security risk) so I won't be able to see any of those images where I normally do most of my surfing.

:kabong:

However, count me in though! I think its a fantastic idea and will be participating as well. Kudos for all the hard work! :thumb:

Thanks Patrick! THe Kudos are appreciated, it has been A LOT of work for me but I am very happy iwth it and enjoying every second of the coding (yep I am an uberdork) Lots more planned for it too, jsut a matter of time to code it all. HOpefully we will be able to obtain a seperate hosting server for this site in the near future and then we'll be able to host everyones images for them, sorry about your luck with work though, that really stinks.

I chose to go with the image hosting though because I am hoping to have a user level equal to TMP and CMON and I am praying to have more LOL, yea We're greedy at the vault LOL. But rather than have people deal with storage issues at the beginning I figured better to do it this way.

But all is not lost for you, the members dont have to host with image shack, they can link from anywhere, you just cant store at the vault yet.

Wanted to let everyone know that I've updated the Browse Minis and Browse My Vault areas...now when you are looking at an individual mini you will have quick links to overviews similar to the fig....for instance if the mini you are viewing is in the Fantasy Genre, then you can quick link to show ALL the figures in the Fantasy genre...same goes for Sculptor, Race and Company.

Will be working on the Painting Services feedback feature tomorrow, going to be VERY similar to ebays feedback...so all you painters for higher, come on over and tell me how to improve the service to help you make more money! Hey its free advertising for you, anyone looking to hire a painter can just look through those listed in the Painting Service profiles.

Alot of updates today.

Fixes or enhancements to navigation have been added in to make it a little more intuitive. I have also added some different header files to help tell you where you are in the site. You can now also add figures from the mini detail view.

You can now view other members Vaults and leave comments too.

Make sure to stop by and check it all out.

Looking real good. If you can get this one up and running, I will be sure to visit it often :) In fact, I´ll add my painting service profile and stuff as soon as I find the time (later tonight) and then comment further.

I dont have much critique or thoughts to add yet, except keep up the good work :)

Looking real good. If you can get this one up and running, I will be sure to visit it often :) In fact, I´ll add my painting service profile and stuff as soon as I find the time (later tonight) and then comment further.

I dont have much critique or thoughts to add yet, except keep up the good work :)

Thanks Sonny! Appreciate the comment and I am definately planning on keeping at it. If you have any suggestions for the painting service be sure to post them over at the Vault

How do I make a wishlist? When I browse minis I can see under the mini's images that they can be on wishlists, but I can't figure out how to make one of my own.

:dontknow:

After you add it to your vault..go to your vault and change the info on that figure from Have 1 Want 0 to Have 0 Want 1.

Its all taken care of inside your My Vault...

So log in:

1) Browse Minis

2) Find the figure youwant on yoru wishlist.

3) From the figure list or the Miniatures Detail page click Add to Vault

4) Next you will be at the confirmation page Click the link that says "edit Your Vault"

5) Currently in Vault will be 1, Currently on WishList will be 0 just swap the values and update your changes.

You can also do this from the My Vault area...just browse your personal vault, find the figure and change its information from have to want.

Let me know if you have any other suggestions or questions...Feel free to post over at the Vault forums to. Questions like this would help others that have similar questions but are to shy to ask.

Thansk!