Georgia - run by idiots?

I swear I am about to rant and rave over the state of Georgia and how they do things. Stupid, idiotic and plain southern 'dumb' really doesn't begin to describe it (and I'm from the south, so I can say that damnit!).

Ok, so this Sunday before last, we're having a family dinner when the wife informs that I 'have the kids' for the week. I look at her strangely and she explains that the kids have a week out of school. I think for a moment, hold up a hand and count silently until I get to six. "Wait a minute .. the kids have only been in school SIX WEEKS! What do you mean they have a week out?

I think they are trying to get it setup so that everyone goes to school year round and everyone pitched a fit last year over it so they aren't doing that anymore. Yeah right .. and they already have a week off school after starting school August 1st (that really cheeses me off too).

So we're having a family dinner this Sunday, yesterday, and my wife announces that I have the kids two more days. "Excuse me?" Yeah, apparently the Governor of this great state of Georgia (I'm choking on that you know) decided to shut down all the schools for two frickin' days in order to conserve energy due to Hurricane Rita.

Give me a damn break!!! You have got to be kidding. Conserve energy, we just NOW got some frickin' rain up here from that TODAY. No problems here, but no, we're conserving energy at the expense of education. Oh, and while we're at it, we'll announce this on a Sunday so that all these parents have to scramble to find child-care for their children. We're lucky in that I work evenings (really, not that lucky, but in this case) so I can watch the kids, but I can't imagine the people that are just now having this dropped in their lap. Hell, and I wouldn't have even known about it if it hadn't of been for the wife, imagine the mother or father that tries to take their kids to school today only to find out 'so sorry, we're closed!'.

!#$!$

:blowup:

Geez, I grew up in western PA where the snow had to reach your ears before they'd even consider a delay.

:snow:

It does seem kinda silly, especially since what's left of Rita isn't even considered a tropical depression anymore. School systems sure are getting crazy anymore, makes me dread the days when my little one starts going to school.

:wallbash:

Believe me, down here in Georgia, if they even get a MORNING FROST they cancel school. It's the damndest thing. I'm outside walking around in shorts and a t-shirt and everyone is bundled up like its Alaska and everyone is calling into work, etc. Makes me wonder.

Up in Minnesotta where we lived for six years, unless you were burried up to the eyeballs, you went to work and to school. I spent on average 3 hours ever other day with a snow blower working the driveway and pathways across the yards for the school kids to get to the bus stop. My wife would literally stand at the top of a five foot mound some mornings and HAND THE CHILDREN into the bus where the bus driver would reach across and take them from my wife with a smile and send them to their seats.

We thought we hated that, but its funny, we miss it more and more these days.

She's only 3, I could start her at the college I work for pre-school (with employee discount, to boot!) but she has to be fully potty-trained. :( And she's only partially right now...

Hey this isn't easy! I've never even housebroken a dog before! I've always had cats and they're pretty much "self-cleaning".

Any advise, FF? You're done it a few times now.

:crazy:

Believe me, down here in Georgia, if they even get a MORNING FROST they cancel school. It's the damndest thing. I'm outside walking around in shorts and a t-shirt and everyone is bundled up like its Alaska and everyone is calling into work, etc. Makes me wonder.

Yep, I live "on the other side of the hills" now, where there's a lot less snowfall, and even word of 3 inches of snow creates panic and people clearing Wal-Marts shelves of water and bread. *sigh*

I fondly remember the sound of the chains on the school-bus tires after getting up even earlier to help shovel the driveway (and we had a loooong driveway!)

:wacko:

We had problems getting our kids potty trained too. We would sit them on the pot, talk to them, jump around and be happy when they did their buisness, bribe, whatever. Nothing ever really 'stuck' though.

Then we went to my mothers place for the weekened with our first child and she had her potty trained inside of 20 minutes. I still don't know what the hell she did but it took and we were some rather pleased parents to say the least.

Then the second one came along and she was doing the exact some thing. She would go, if you kept an eye on her, but if you weren't paying attention or overnight, she would just go ahead and do her buisness. Damn aggrivating. This time, my mother came up to visit us in Minnesotta and had her trained inside of half an hour. I STILL don't know what she did other than smile and tell her she was a good girl.

My mother told us we were on our own with the boy and I did everything I could to show him what to do. Hell he was enthusiastic about it, and didn't have aim for nothin' but it was entertaining for him. Still, he wouldn't really 'take'. I called my mother up and said "we're coming down for the weekend." When we got there I promptly deposited little man in her care and a day later she had him trained.

If I could bottle whatever the hell my mother does, I would be rich. She's managed to put the 'finishing touch' on all the kids when it came to potty training and I still haven't got a clue why it worked for her and not for us.

She's only 3, I could start her at the college I work for pre-school (with employee discount, to boot!) but she has to be fully potty-trained. :( And she's only partially right now...

Hey this isn't easy! I've never even housebroken a dog before! I've always had cats and they're pretty much "self-cleaning".

Any advise, FF? You're done it a few times now.

:crazy:

We had problems getting our kids potty trained too. We would sit them on the pot, talk to them, jump around and be happy when they did their buisness, bribe, whatever. Nothing ever really 'stuck' though.

Then we went to my mothers place for the weekened with our first child and she had her potty trained inside of 20 minutes. I still don't know what the hell she did but it took and we were some rather pleased parents to say the least.

Then the second one came along and she was doing the exact some thing. She would go, if you kept an eye on her, but if you weren't paying attention or overnight, she would just go ahead and do her buisness. Damn aggrivating. This time, my mother came up to visit us in Minnesotta and had her trained inside of half an hour. I STILL don't know what she did other than smile and tell her she was a good girl.

My mother told us we were on our own with the boy and I did everything I could to show him what to do. Hell he was enthusiastic about it, and didn't have aim for nothin' but it was entertaining for him. Still, he wouldn't really 'take'. I called my mother up and said "we're coming down for the weekend." When we got there I promptly deposited little man in her care and a day later she had him trained.

If I could bottle whatever the hell my mother does, I would be rich. She's managed to put the 'finishing touch' on all the kids when it came to potty training and I still haven't got a clue why it worked for her and not for us.

Our first son went pretty easily, but with our second, we just couldn't seem to make him get it. He would go into the bathroom, stand in front of the toilet, and go in his pants. It was getting really agrivating until we finally had an epipheny. He had been watching his big brother go into the bathroom, stand at the toilet and pee.....somehow he just missed the whole "pull the pants down first" part of it.... once we made him understand that and made him start "sitting" on the potty, everything went fine.

Hang in there Duende, she'll get it eventually!

@Frustrated Father - Being a fellow Georgia resident, I can whole heartedly agree with you that this state is run by idiots. You should have heard Dwn when she found out that the kids had Monday and tuesday off school...all I can say is that I'm glad I was out of the country, on the OTHER side of the world at the time.

Cheers,

Grumb

When I was in school I only got 2 days off other than a normal holidays,

The first day was after the big 7.0 earthquake in 1989, and school was closed for one day just to check the structural integrity of it all.

The second was the day after the Rodney King verdict and there was riots and looting on the street outside my school.

Up in Minnesotta where we lived for six years, unless you were burried up to the eyeballs, you went to work and to school.
I went to college in upstate New York. One winter the county officially closed the roads due to a blizzard but the college still refused to close. They finally gave in when the County threatened to fine them for not letting their employees go home. Some students who lived off campus ended up being forced to sleep in classrooms because they couldn't get home. I think it was the first time the school closed for snow in over 20 years.

Thanks SV - I needed that laugh! Yep, I was mighty hot when I found out the kids were out Mon. and Tues. I do believe Mr. Purdue just shot himself in the foot for his next election with that decision.

The old standby joke here in Iowa about school closing for snow is this...

If the School Principal can see his car in the morning, classes are still on....He parks in his garage. :thumb: