Red Edwards Steal Battle Plans

solkan

Question

I'm trying to make sure that I understand how Steal Battle Plans works while Red Edwards cycles through copies of it.

Both Infiltration and Raid their Supply add the Steal Battle Plans Stratagem to the players hand.  Infiltration does it the first time, and Raid their Supply will do it again if it's not currently in the player's hand.  Note that Steal Battle Plans cannot be added to the stratagem deck during hiring, so the card is entering play from nowhere when Red Edwards goes to glory the first time using the words "add the Steal Battle Plans Stratagem to your hand".

The text on the card says:

Reveal the opposing player's Stratagem Deck and choose a Stratagem that does not summon any units.  Then, place this Stratagem back into your Stratagem Deck

For the remainder of the game:

This Stratagem is treated as the chosen Stratagem for all game effects, including name and Tactical Cost, if it would affect friendly Markers it may affect enemy Markers instead.

Three Kingdoms

Tactical Cost: 2

Infiltration says "add the Steal Battle Plans Stratagem to your hand" and Raid Their Supply says "If the Steal Battle Plans Stratagem is not in your hand, add it to your hand."  And the text on the card prohibits it being in the deck before Infiltration resolves.  So either sentence should be equally capable of putting Steal Battle Plans into the player's hand from nowhere.

So, when Red Edwards goes to glory, the card enters play and gets added to his hand.  Nothing special yet.  

When the stratagem gets played, it becomes "treated as the chosen Stratagem for all game effects, including name and Tactical Cost ..." "For the remainder of the game".  

First question:  Does this mean that that Steal Battle Plans card no longer is a Steal Battle Plans card, and that Raid Their Supplies will produce a new Steal Battle Plans card if that trigger is resolved?

Second question:  Or does the "For the remainder of the game" clause mean that Raid Their Supplies put the modified Steal Battle Plans card in the player's hand (saving the player from spending whatever tactical cost the card acquired after being played, and eliminating the need to wait to buy the card).  Does it only do this if the card was in the stratagem deck, or will it do so even if the card was removed from play by the default stratagem rules? 

1 answer to this question

To summarize there are two possibilities:

1. Steal Battle Plans is both itself and the duplicated Stratagem, so the trigger lets you draw the duplicated Stratagem back.
  2. Steal Battle Plans is fully overwritten by the duplicated Stratagem, so the trigger lets you draw a brand new one to duplicate something else.

I always thought it was #1 but the more I think about it I think #2 is more rational or at least the most balanced.  #1 would let you reuse one-time Stratagems over and over (especially good if you duplicate a Cost 5 one and get to draw it cost-less via trigger.  Chaos Fissures every single round would be... something).  #2 would give you an ever-growing Stratagem deck (great for 3K's Glory mechanic), but at least you're still paying to use them.