Give Teddy Toss - and bring old stuff in line.

There’s been a shift in design philosophy - which is great, new minions and enforcers seem much more appealing compared to older models and henchmen.

Which is of course sad. Because why start collecting a new thematic keyword, when half+ the models will be subpar to the most recent expansion. 

So rather than Wyrd using rules imbalance to push new sculpts, I for one, would love to see the same tactic applied to pushing the old stuff. With 80ish masters/keywords there is less reason to burn resources push new stuff out, when they can make the old stuff viable - I really don’t care whether models are ‘new’ to buy, just that they look good and work within the game - and this would have the added benefit of offering less complexity(model count) to new and casual players, rather than turn them away from the game. 

So this thread is less for discussion, but rather to provide the Wyrd-oes inspiration on how to make the old stuff viable. So they can churn a profit and keep producing the greatest miniature game out there. 

My own proposal “Give Teddy Toss”.

Everyone loves the big murder bear, but he has fallen out of favour from being vulnerable and not offering anything special (there’s plenty of beater models) to help you win. So why not give him Toss. 

Toss will offer Pandora/Dreamer some much needed mobility to their crews, and suddenly Teddy will have a table presence worth 10 stones. (Throw it in as a bonus action and everyone will love his efficiency). 

As an added bonus, you could allow the Kade/Teddy discount in both Nightmare/Woe to encourage collecting both crews. 

• Agree 1

i mean he could just gain the tide callers bonus action for lols...

there is a lot of december, wild fire and non windy/metal elementals could do with some love, the golems seem to be outclassed now by most things and could do with some loving

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I can only agree.
Aside from the toss, which could be quite nice but Teddy just really became a secondary choice.
Like it, many other pieces from the first wave should be completely modernized, as they are obsolete when compared to the latest ones.
In tournaments they always remain on the shelves.
Neverborn have a lot of them, but for better or worse they are present in all factions.

12 hours ago, TeddyBear said:

…but Teddy just really became a secondary choice.

You’re right, those choices are everywhere.

I find it a poor marketing strategy to make your existing product obsolete to sell new stuff. It works for toys like LEGO with rotation and limited shelf time, or GW; where jumping the gun on a new army will call for a 2nd and third mortgage, but for Malifaux where the next OP crew is a paltry €100-130 compared to collecting a full faction toolbox, it just seems like bad business, making it more likely to give new players a poor experience with the game.

Speaking for myself, in the end I’d much rather that my next purchase is a choice based on theme/aestethics of cool models, and that the accompanying rules provide me with a fun experience to play around with an aspect of the game system, rather than considering whether a purchase will guarantee a win or compromise my chances. I’ve got 22 crews in my collection, with more than a handful on my immediate ‘want’ list. I used to paint a crew/month, but I’m not buying anything these days because of rules creep – that’s €600 that I’ll burn on other hobbies, and not making those purchases will stop me from looking for what would come after collecting my most immediate ‘wants’.