Leftovers and Blocked Replace

Deathinabox

Question

When the Leftovers dies, it turns into two Bisected. However, I'm reading through the replace rules and I'm not entirely sure what happens if you can't place the bisected (either by being buried or just crowded out). The first step of replacing reads:

1. "Place each new model into base contact with any of the original models. If any cannot be Placed or cannot be added due to model limits, the Replace effect is canceled."

My understanding of this is that if you can't place Both of the Bistected, then the replace does not occur. (not what I expected when I first looked into it.) However, when it says the Replace effect is canceled, does that mean the Demise is cancelled (no heal and leftovers dies immediately) or that you simply don't continue down the replace procedure (Leftovers heals 4 but can't replace so simply lives as Leftovers)?

My instinct is the second as Bury uses similar language and it's been confirmed that Immortal Soil allows the heal even if the model is currently buried.

"If a model would be Unburied but cannot be because of an effect such as Laugh Off, Planted Roots, or Staggered, it may still be Unburied as above, ignoring such an effect. Buried models cannot be Buried. If a Buried model would be Buried by a game effect, it ignores that game effect. Models that are not Buried ignore any effects that would cause them to Unbury.

2 answers to this question

8 hours ago, Deathinabox said:

When the Leftovers dies, it turns into two Bisected. However, I'm reading through the replace rules and I'm not entirely sure what happens if you can't place the bisected (either by being buried or just crowded out). The first step of replacing reads:

1. "Place each new model into base contact with any of the original models. If any cannot be Placed or cannot be added due to model limits, the Replace effect is canceled."

My understanding of this is that if you can't place Both of the Bistected, then the replace does not occur. (not what I expected when I first looked into it.) However, when it says the Replace effect is canceled, does that mean the Demise is cancelled (no heal and leftovers dies immediately) or that you simply don't continue down the replace procedure (Leftovers heals 4 but can't replace so simply lives as Leftovers)?

Yeah, when it says "the replace is cancelled", it just cancels the replace effect (you skip it and continue)--the "replace effect" is "is replaced with two Bisected Models" not the ability containing the word "replace".

So if the Demise(Bisected) goes off and there's no room to replace, it just heals 4 (bringing it above 0 and thus no longer killed) and remains a Leftovers.