The difference between Move, Push, and place. (AKA: How to stop a slippery frog)

Chaosgunrunner

Question

First time poster here, so please let me know if I got something wrong here.  
I am new to 3rd edition and am playing a game against a Captain Zipp box (new player league).  I end up learning of how far the First mate can move and accidentally help my opponent score the [Break though] scheme using the "Butterfly leap" ability.  Seeing how this ability said 'move', would I have been able to tie up the first mate with engagement, or is the first mate unable to be stopped in this way?  If so, could someone please explain to me about push vs. move?  Is it just the method of movement (straight line vs. one that can swerve)?  Thank you in advanced

2 answers to this question

30 minutes ago, Chaosgunrunner said:

If so, could someone please explain to me about push vs. move?  Is it just the method of movement (straight line vs. one that can swerve)? 

Simple rundown:

• A push is a move in a straight line (horizontally).
  • A place does not move through the intervening area.
34 minutes ago, Chaosgunrunner said:

Seeing how this ability said 'move', would I have been able to tie up the first mate with engagement, or is the first mate unable to be stopped in this way? 

The only time a model is prohibited leaving engagement range is when it is resolving the movement for the Walk action.  (And only Walk actions are allowed to climb up climbable surfaces.)

So, yeah, Butterfly Jump can be used to leave engagement range.  It's something to watch out for.

• Thanks 1

Side note, It's easy to to confuse Walk and Move as synonymous. I regularly hear things like, "Chompy moves 5 inches to here" when it should be "Chompy takes a Walk Action and moves to here" This is what makes solkan's bit super critical. It's also why the rules specifically have to call out, "Cannot be declared while
engaged"
, because a charge uses a push for movement. You could charge out of melee if not explisitly dissalowed by the rules. (Some models break this)

On 9/2/2023 at 11:13 PM, solkan said:

The only time a model is prohibited leaving engagement range is when it is resolving the movement for the Walk action

Another key note from the rulebook:

In addition to moving, both Push and Place effects are considered a type of movement and are treated as moving a model.

So one of the ways Hasardous Terrain procs is from a move, doesn't matter if it is from a walk or push.