Hodgpodge emessary, crutch or neccassery

izi

On 9/2/2023 at 2:38 AM, izi said:

Hello. Im seeing the hodge being used alot. Basicaly every master and every pool.

Is the hodg a crutch that people take as its pushed.

Or is it something most outcast masters need to compete?

It's a weird one. It definitely is worth its 10 points. It can be argued that if you tally up everything on its card it might be worth more than its 10 points. But the issue is that it does many small things that individually aren't worth 10, so you need to make sure you're using multiple aspects of its kit.

Bandit is the only Keyword where I consider the Emissary a must, personally. Every part of the Emissary, the healing, the marker generation, the movement boosts, all three upgrades, it offers, etc. have a home in Bandit. Other Keywords it's more optional. Freikorps, Mercenary, Infamous, and Obliteration have in Keyword healers and probably need the Emissary the least (I sometimes bring an upgraded Effigy in Freikorps if I need the scheme generation but that's about it). Plague doesn't need a healer honestly, I only bring him there for the scheme marker generation because I love rat summoning and honestly there's probably a more efficient pick. Tormented really likes the Emissary but I sometimes struggle to fit him in with all the other models I want. Bygone can be similar. Leveticus uses health as a resource so he is easy to justify in Amalgam.

But it's also never a bad choice, especially if you need schemes to score.