Assembling new models (Zoraida swamp hag)

kaintxu

I think word is running into an issue where they run models too thin. It's been going on for a while, but I do think it is getting worse and worse.

Trying to make awesome models, they are running into extreme detail, and not scaling them appropriately, they are going overboard with thing models. I think the should scale up a lot of models at least a 10%- 20%

This comes from trying to assemble the new Zoraida Swamp Hag model. There are like 4 pieces in the model I can't assemble (and some more in the kurgan). Her ancle bracelet, one of the dolls on the brasier, and both her arms.

I am left feeling like I have wasted my money buying this new box and don't know what to other than sell her and use OG Zoraida for both Zoraida 1 and 2 and if anyone says anything explain the whole story.

Any thoughts?

• Agree 1

There are some real hits and misses with the new models. I put the Zoraida 2 box together just a short while ago and yes, Zoraida was awful. They really need to do something about tiny, single connection points, it is incredibly frustrating for some of the thinner pieces. 

I just did Euripides 2 today and he was great to put together, everything went together easy, strong connection points and no confusion. The Kaltgeists were less easy, the one with the ice "whip" was pretty bad to get done, not very happy with the result.

I understand that they want to make cool models, and they definitely do, but making them slightly friendlier to put together would be good. There has been plenty of times I've asked myself "Why is this bit in separate pieces?!" 

I wish you luck and patience in your endeavour!

• Agree 1

I don't have that Fates Entwined box yet, so I'm just looking at the build instructions for that model and being intimidated by it.  😬

I think the main questions I have would be:

- Are you using plastic cement (the stuff like Testors where the pieces get melted together slightly), and something to hold the pieces in place while they dry?  (Even if it's something silly sounding like the GW Colour Assembly Stand, one of the old fashioned stand things that have a magnifying glass and two bendable arms, or just some non-hardening clay to prevent the pieces from moving around...)

- If you leave off some of the pieces that you don't like, can you come up with a version of the model that you like?  I'm guessing that as long as you get the two arms connected, Zoraida will look okay.

By way of disclaimer, I got the Witness boxes at GenCon and started putting them together without instructions.  I could not for the life of me figure out the piping on Marco Bonatti's back, and I probably didn't get all of Lohith's fiddly bits in "right" places, but the end result looked reasonable enough.  🙃  

I think overall the models have been getting better about having sensible connection points and good keying.  (The Living Soulstone box was nice to put together...)  But the sort of company that takes a dig at itself by producing a 'masochistic modelers' t-shirt and "Nightmare" editions probably can't help producing the occasional excessive model.  🤕