Maxine2 crew builds

TheUnseemlyOne

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/10/2022 at 6:50 AM, TheUnseemlyOne said:

Looking to start playing Maxine2 after the weekend. I’m curious what kinds of lists people have been running with her. 

I'll bite.

First, start with Harata Ngaatoro.

One of the strongest things Maxine2 does is exploiting his Distraction aura and Ngeri from his Haka while Healing him to keep him alive.

You position him near an enemy model so that their WP duels are on a :-flip, and then just swing away with Maxine's Aetheric Tear melee attack. Ngeri disallows them from getting any :+flips in any opposed duels (this includes when they are attacked by you) so they're stuck on that :-flip to resist - they can't get back to a straight flip even if they wanted to spend a Soulstone to do so. Jokers aside, Maxine at Stat6 will almost always land the hit, with multiple great triggers, applying Injured +1 and sometimes you'll just randomly get to a straight flip for that Sever 5 since your opponent can't cheat fate. Subsequent attacks get even easier to land straight flips on since the Injured stacks up, so a strong Maxine2 activation is often just Converging Ley Lines herself and Harata into position, and then just slapping them with Aetheric Tear 3 times.

With that in mind, my core would be:

• Maxine Agassiz
  • Orville Agassiz
  • Harata Ngaatoro (Flush with Cash optional)
  • Beau Fishbocker
  • Dr Beebe and Calypso (but probably don't hire vs Tara, Lady Justice or if they opponent's master has heaps of Ignore Armour attacks)

From there, there's some great picks depending what you need.

Within the keyword, a Machinist is often a great pick, Kiya has her moments (especially if you do hire a Machinist and/or an Emissary). She can be a bit slow and clunky, and is generally better in Maxine1 crews, but she still sometimes has a place here, and if you need Irreducible and are willing to give her a bit of support, she can deliver some great damage. From time to time the Tidecaller can be useful but he's not a common hire. Most importantly, just don't hire Harpooners, ever.

OOK and Versatile-wise, anything that targets WP will really appreciate Harata's Distraction aura, so Vernon & Welles with the Glimpse the Void trigger is great. It's hard to resist being hit by it, and with that :-flip applying to all WP duels, there's a big chance the target will be Buried too. Again exploiting Distraction, Mr Ngaatoro and his Obey can be brutal.

Things that synergise with Healing also have a place, since Breachburnt will be constantly Healing your EVS models throughout the game, so there's a lot of Seeker models I would consider for their Chronicle ability. The Damned would probably be top of the list since his Chronicle's chip damage would add up very quickly. 

If there's big Severe terrain pieces where you know your opponent will be, Grave Goo can be a brutal hire since you'll turn that terrain into Hazardous, and almost every single EVS model can push other models around. Mass of Tentacles in particular is super dangerous for this, as it also deals damage so when you push models through that Severe you'll be pinging them for 2 instances of 1 damage, plus Poison +1, plus the damage from your actual attack.

I sometimes hire Sand Worm on Severe heavy boards to just add more min 3 punch. Maxine2 is great at bullying models and I find the Sand Worm can complement that quite nicely.

I solo'd her the past weekend for a small 3 rounder with these lists for these pools:

Round 1 was Flank Guard the Stash vs Explorers Basse1 
Round 2 was Wedge Cursed Objects vs Jedza1

• Maxine Agassiz
  • Orville Agassiz
  • Harata Ngaatoro
  • Beau Fishbocker
  • Dr Beebe
  • Calypso
  • Intrepid Emissary
  • Kiya Manimi
  • 4ss Cache

Round 1 had In Your Face and Assassinate, and with Round 2 being Cursed Objects and having Vendetta in it, I built the list to be tough and hard hitting and just ran it back to back. Emissary in particular goes a long way towards protecting Harata as he's a bit squishy and is always the biggest target in the crew. I did consider a Machinist, as they support Kiya, Calypso and Emissary well but it felt unnecessary vs the masters I was against. 

Round 3 was Standard Carve the Path vs Reva2.

• Maxine Agassiz
  • Orville Agassiz
  • Harata Ngaatoro
  • Beau Fishbocker
  • Dr Beebe
  • Calypso
  • Model 9 
  • Vernon & Welles
  • 6ss Cache

In Round 3, In Your Face was again present, but Kiya and Emissary both felt slow and cumbersome. I wanted to hire another 9ss model to combine with Harata to potentially score the end game point of In Your Face if I wanted to take it. Model 9 having Run and Gun allows him to push the strat while contributing to the gameplan, adds a lot of chip damage, and can be easily healed by Dr Beebe or Beau so he's tough as nails, so I picked him. Vernon & Welles is fantastic on Carve the Path in general, but he also has the added benefit of abusing Harata's Distraction aura as I detailed above so it was no brainer to take them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, TheUnseemlyOne said:

I’m a bit curious about this. Is this specific to Maxine2 or just a general dislike of that model?  I’ve had pretty decent success with taking one with Maxine1, particularly into non guild crews.  

I think it can have its place. Mostly if there is a lot of hazardous on the board since it is pretty good at moving enemy models into it, while staying away itself and it can also be ok if there are some schemes that require enemy models in a certain position. 

Looking at it in a vacuum, it is a pretty weak model though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/20/2022 at 5:08 PM, TheUnseemlyOne said:

I’m a bit curious about this. Is this specific to Maxine2 or just a general dislike of that model?  I’ve had pretty decent success with taking one with Maxine1, particularly into non guild crews.  

For 7ss they just don't do enough. I actually used to like them when I first started the faction. But after trying them out several times, I've decided they just don't do enough for 7ss. At 8ss, the Tidecaller is almost always a better pick, competing for those :mask for Reconfigure, and being even better at pushing models around into Hazardous - while being immune to Hazardous himself. 

My main problem with the Harpooner is their Reel In feels like it should be the most important and interesting part of the card, but it's just extremely clunky and needs a suit too, but they could also really benefit from having an extra wound or some defensive tech outside of just decent Df.

Harpooners to me basically exist for exactly two things in their current state: Replacing a Hopeful Prospect in an EVS crew, and Replacing a Hopeful Prospect in an Apex crew.

Just coming back to this, I decided to give a Harpooner a spin in my Vassal World Series game of Maxine2 vs Basse2.

We played Covert Operation with Hidden Martyrs and Leave Your Mark in the pool, so I figured the various push effects and Poison that the Harpooner offers could be useful to deny scoring. Plus, if Basse overextended any of his models early, I could kidnap them with my Harpoon (provided it hit)

The Harpooner actually did fairly well, bullying and pushing around a Sand Worm before locking onto Basse, stacking Injured, pushing him through a Marker hit by Beau's Hazardous Tactical action twice in two turns, eventually whittling him down from 10hp to 0hp (though this was after me slowly chewing through his stones throughout the game) - before eventually dying to yield me a Hidden Martyrs VP. Seems like a good innings, but it's hard to gauge how valuable it actually was because it was surrounded by several powerful models and supplemented by the absurdly strong healing Maxine2 brings. Even a substandard model can look good when it has such powerful keyword synergy. 

I no longer think Harpooners are as completely unhireable as I previously did, but they still remain extremely niche and I doubt I'd rush to hire them unless it's a perfect pool for them.

My list was:

• Maxine Agassiz
  • Orville Agassiz
  • Harata Ngaatoro
  • Beau Fishbocker
  • Dr Beebe
  • Calypso
  • Harpooner
  • Hopeful Prospect (hired purely to try remove Stunned from Maxine)
  • Intrepid Emissary
  • 3ss Cache

verses:

• Cornelius Basse with Flush with Cash
  • Bernadette Basse
  • Jonathan Reichart
  • Sand Worm
  • Pearl Musgrove
  • Austringer with Flush with Cash
  • Austringer
  • 7ss Cache
  • Like 1