Glue and primer time! What's the best?

Lillian H

• Lillian H changed the title to Glue and primer time! What's the best?

For glue i like Tamiya extra thin, and I usually prime my models with badger stynyl rez black through an airbrush. If I for some reason don't have an airbrush at hand I prefer GW/Citadel chaos black rattlecan primer. Priming black often requires a bit more time painting over if you want bright colours, but once you get used to it, there's no going back.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Hey Lillian, welcome to the community. Already saw you participating in the painting contest, waiting to see what your entry was 😉

Regarding glue and primer, you want to usse any form of "plastic-cement". It slighty melts the plastic so you get a really strong bond, compared to superglue.

There are a lot of different brands, i have used Revell and "Tamiya extra thin". I'd go with the "Tamiya extra thin cement", it flows into cracks and barely leaves any marks on the surface, plus you can really easily make corrections.

For priming i use an airbrush and dont want to ever go back (Vallejo black primer for me). But you can use rattlecans no problem, its more of a convenience.

Used Vallejo and Citadel Cans before, could'nt make a recommendation though. Just make sure to give them a thourough shake through though, thats the main culprit for uneven coats and unwanted texture on your models.

Hope i could help.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hawkoon said:

For glue i like Tamiya extra thin, and I usually prime my models with badger stynyl rez black through an airbrush. If I for some reason don't have an airbrush at hand I prefer GW/Citadel chaos black rattlecan primer. Priming black often requires a bit more time painting over if you want bright colours, but once you get used to it, there's no going back.

1 hour ago, Nudelpullover said:

Hey Lillian, welcome to the community. Already saw you participating in the painting contest, waiting to see what your entry was 😉

Regarding glue and primer, you want to usse any form of "plastic-cement". It slighty melts the plastic so you get a really strong bond, compared to superglue.

There are a lot of different brands, i have used Revell and "Tamiya extra thin". I'd go with the "Tamiya extra thin cement", it flows into cracks and barely leaves any marks on the surface, plus you can really easily make corrections.

For priming i use an airbrush and dont want to ever go back (Vallejo black primer for me). But you can use rattlecans no problem, its more of a convenience.

Used Vallejo and Citadel Cans before, could'nt make a recommendation though. Just make sure to give them a thourough shake through though, thats the main culprit for uneven coats and unwanted texture on your models.

Hope i could help.

Thank you! I will check those out! I don't have an airbrush yet. Sounds like a game changer for sure.

Nudel I'm excited for the paint contest to be announced over so we can talk about it too! 🙂

My style of painting is pretty weird. I end up doing a million things coats to get the desired effect usually so I usually hand prime with black or white depending on the area. I have tried all black primer and I end up having to backtrack too much. 

Thanks for the tips! I appreciate it a lot!