Shenlong The Teacher Upgrades

scarlett fever

Question

Question on upgrades. I've always assumed with upgrades that I've played that you hand out (McCabe, Jackdaw, Hodgepodge) that once the Plentiful/Unique limit is met you can't hand them out anymore. You can't just hand out an upgrade which is already on model B to model A and model B discards the upgrade.

However if I play new Shenlong like this it seems a little weird. 

Shifting Form: During the Start Phase of Turn, Attach a Style Upgrade to this model. When any friendly Monk Activates, it may discard a Style Upgrade to Attach any other Style Upgrade to itself. 

Trigger on bonus action: Choose a friendly Monk within range without a Style Upgrade. Attach a Style Upgrade to the chosen model. ... 

So either the 'attach any other Style Upgrade' allows you to discard an Upgrade from another Monk. 

Or this was always the case once you reach the Plentiful/Unique limit. 

Or you have to make sure any Style Upgrade you want a Monk to have has been discarded/hasn't been attached and once you take the Great Teacher action the 3rd time in a game (turn 3) you Brick. 

3 answers to this question

7 hours ago, scarlett fever said:

Or you have to make sure any Style Upgrade you want a Monk to have has been discarded/hasn't been attached and once you take the Great Teacher action the 3rd time in a game (turn 3) you Brick. 

You don’t “brick”.  😛  You perform the well documented “There’s nothing legal to do, so skip it” maneuver if you try to attach a Style upgrade while they’re all in play.

It’s a trigger, if you don’t need to use it, you don’t have to declare it.

23 minutes ago, solkan said:

You don’t “brick”.  😛  You perform the well documented “There’s nothing legal to do, so skip it” maneuver if you try to attach a Style upgrade while they’re all in play.

It’s a trigger, if you don’t need to use it, you don’t have to declare it.

What I mean by brick is if you were to attach a 4th upgrade you literally can't swap upgrades anymore. If you were to discard an upgrade at this point the only upgrade free to attach would be the one you just discarded. Therefore all 4 upgrades would be locked in. 

1 hour ago, scarlett fever said:

What I mean by brick is if you were to attach a 4th upgrade you literally can't swap upgrades anymore. If you were to discard an upgrade at this point the only upgrade free to attach would be the one you just discarded. Therefore all 4 upgrades would be locked in. 

Okay, but Shenlong the Teacher’s trigger doesn’t remove an upgrade.  You’re targeting a monk without an upgrade and attaching an upgrade that’s not currently in play.  If the other player is knocking off your models, easy to see that being useful five times during a game.

Yeah, your point about the trigger stopping working if all four upgrades are already in play. But it’s still got uses.