Testing AK 3rd Gen paints

Antinea

First of all a disclaimer: I am not paid by AK for this test (why would they, I'm a quite bad painter). I have bought a few of their paints and have been testing them.

So as I said I bought recently some of the new AK 3rd generation acrylic paints. Basically, I have all their "Intense" colors (11 paints, the very basic colors: white black, the primaries and secondaries plus a pink, a brown and a purple), all the "Pastel" colors (6: pastel yellow, pink, violet, peach, green and blue,  more or less coloured off-whites), 5 Fluorescent ones and the complete metallics range (22 of them).

After doing some basic tests; how they behave with a brush, with an airbrush, etc, I decided to test them on real minis. I had some spares when I was extremelu clumsy at assembling Malifaux ones so off we go.

Primed black, then pre-shading in grey and zenithal with white.

Then applying a few basecoats with Intense Deep green, Deep blue and Deep brown. Result is below.

.MiniTrials_2.thumb.jpg.2e007fafa2e62524fb59e9b91b28fa84.jpg

I have to say that they are nice. Quite thin out of the pot. Not as thin as Reaper but thinner than Vallejo Model Color. Dilution was roughly 2 paints : 1 water  Good coverage was achieved after 2 thin coats for blue and green, 3 thin coats for the brown. The flow very nicely on the surface.

They take quite a while to dry (for acrylics) so people who like wet blending might consider them.

I haven't applied metallics yet here but I've done some airbrushing with them on plastic spoons. And they are great! Dilution 2 thinner : 1 paint, pressure 1.4 bar. 0.35 mm needle. Sprayed perfectly. No clogging.

Appearance is quite smooth and shiny, though less shiny than Vallejo Metal Colors. But what a range of colours, especially some very unusual ones: a red, purple, several blues and greens!

So, all in all, very good paints. Coverage could have been better but it's not bad. They take dilution quite well.

Next step: doing glazing/washes with them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Got myself 2 of them one intense (deep purple) and one regular (hull red).  And i was super happy with the coverage.

I did use them for "washes" and worked fine 👌

True that one is in the intense range and the other is quite dark, i'd like to see results for lighter colors, I might try a lighter color in the future. 

On my experience so far, I'd recomend them.

• 3 months later...