WANTED: Inspiration

Jesy Blue

So I'm really big on bases... it's kind of my thing.

With 3rd, I've begun varying bases based on Keyword.  But I think I've run out of ideas for the Mercenary keyword, and I don't want to overlap, so this is what I have so far:

FREIKORPS - mud on brown bases

BANDIT - train tracks on gray bases

PLAGUE - Outcast rose on silver bases

NEPHILIM - black & red blood splatter on white bases

INFAMOUS - clear bases

TRI-CHI - wooden planks on brass bases

SWAMPFIEND - brown water effects & plants on transparent brown bases

ONI - bone piles on white bases

QI & GONG - empty on stained lacquered wood bases

"SAMURAI" - piles of bullet casings on blue bases

CROSSROADS - speaker on black bases

I was thinking of doing stacks & piles of dollar bills/scrip, but I can't find any pictures of what scrip looks like. That lead to maybe piles of leaves in autumn colors, but why?  The idea of a plain dessert landscape is boring, streets are even more played out, and everyone's grandma has done soul stones on the base at this point.

Anyone got any ideas on what a team of money grubbing sword and gun for hire types would look cool running past?

6 hours ago, Jesy Blue said:

So I'm really big on bases... it's kind of my thing.

With 3rd, I've begun varying bases based on Keyword.  But I think I've run out of ideas for the Mercenary keyword, and I don't want to overlap, so this is what I have so far:

FREIKORPS - mud on brown bases

BANDIT - train tracks on gray bases

PLAGUE - Outcast rose on silver bases

NEPHILIM - black & red blood splatter on white bases

INFAMOUS - clear bases

TRI-CHI - wooden planks on brass bases

SWAMPFIEND - brown water effects & plants on transparent brown bases

ONI - bone piles on white bases

QI & GONG - empty on stained lacquered wood bases

"SAMURAI" - piles of bullet casings on blue bases

CROSSROADS - speaker on black bases

I was thinking of doing stacks & piles of dollar bills/scrip, but I can't find any pictures of what scrip looks like. That lead to maybe piles of leaves in autumn colors, but why?  The idea of a plain dessert landscape is boring, streets are even more played out, and everyone's grandma has done soul stones on the base at this point.

Anyone got any ideas on what a team of money grubbing sword and gun for hire types would look cool running past?

Scrip is basically paper money only recognized in the store of the company you work for, ie a voucher that you get instead/in addition to regular wage for the work you do. In Malifaux this means Guild-issued money that is not legal tender anywhere except the Guild's own stores. As the Guild controls pretty much all legal trade in Malifaux, Guild scrip is still pretty much universal. So basically any kind of paper money.

On my outcasts (well, Leveticus, I'll probably change things around for different keywords with M3e) I did a wavy pattern setts theme, with the odd stone pulled out, and lots and lots of loose stones. I made a large silicone mould and cast up dozens of rounded cubes, and put them in piles. For the more metallic parts of the crew I added some small clockwork pieces, for the shooty members I added some green stuff shells, for Leveticus himself I added a partly dismembered female corpse (from the Secret Weapon Bodyparts kit), with the undead skin painted like the skin of my waifs. Desolation engine also had some torn-up body parts. But all bases had the half-circle setts stone pattern (made by a rubber press mould I bought somewhere; like the ones Happy Seppuku makes) and the piles of stones. I thought that told a story, bit still looked like they all belonged in the same area of the quarantine zone...

16 minutes ago, tmod said:

Scrip is basically paper money only recognized in the store of the company you work for, ie a voucher that you get instead/in addition to regular wage for the work you do. In Malifaux this means Guild-issued money that is not legal tender anywhere except the Guild's own stores. As the Guild controls pretty much all legal trade in Malifaux, Guild scrip is still pretty much universal. So basically any kind of paper money.

I know that, but what does scrip look like? 

Is it red? Is it green?  Who's picture is on it?  Are there portraits on it at all?  What denominations? 

If I could get a picture I'd feel better trying to mimic it.

14 minutes ago, Jesy Blue said:

I know that, but what does scrip look like? 

Is it red? Is it green?  Who's picture is on it?  Are there portraits on it at all?  What denominations? 

If I could get a picture I'd feel better trying to mimic it.

No denomination (by definition), and could be anything. As costs are mentioned in x Guild Scrip (with symbol §, I think), they would not have any denomination...

I doubt they'd be elaborate, more like this:

scrip8.jpg

Edit: that came out like I was shouting, don't know what happened to the formatting...

• Like 1