Cost and special restriction - Dashel totem example

le_wahou

Question

I have troubles with the difference between cost and special restriction.

The :ToS-Fast:action of this totem is a friendly push with the following trigger :

:maskInternal Affairs: Choose a friendly Scheme Marker within 2" of the target. Drop an enemy Scheme Marker in base contact with the target, then remove the friendly Scheme Marker and draw a card.

Is the italic part a cost or a special restriction ? I would probably say a special restriction, but I am not sure. It is clear that without scheme, it will not happen, but when do we choose the scheme ? On trigger declaration because it is a cost, or on trigger resolution because it is a special restriction ? There is nothing to pay here, so I guess it is a special restriction, but the line is not perfectly clear here and the other interpretation also makes sense.

1 answer to this question

Special restrictions are "non-Master" "This action can only target buried models "  or "enemy only". They don't force you to do anything, just restrict when you can use the action/trigger.

Costs force you to do something in order for the action/trigger to be resolved. So they require the player to make an action/decision "Choose/Discard/Select" etc.

Internal Affairs has a cost. You need to choose a scheme marker. If you can't, the trigger can't really be declared.