A question about the timing of A Fistful of Scrip and Black Market/Highwayman (Parker Barrows)

apes-ma

Question

Parker's front-of-card ability "A Fistful of Scrip" says "At the end of this model's activation it may discard up to four cards to select a number of enemy Scheme Markers within pulse 4 equal to the number of cards discarded. Place a friendly Scheme Marker in base contact with each selected marker, then discard each selected marker.", and his two limited upgrades, Black Market and Highwayman have static abilities that say "At the end of this model's activation, if it took an Action that removed one or more enemy Scheme Markers, add one Soulstone to this Crew's Soulstone pool/draw two cards and then discard one card."

Am I right in thinking that if Parker uses the "A Fistful of Scrip" ability (and has removed no other markers this turn), then the ability from Black Market/Highwayman does not trigger, since at the end of the activation one ability checks to see if markers have been removed (they haven't, yet) and then the other removes markers too late for the other ability to check and "see" that this has happened? Essentially since both abilities fire off at the same time, and therefore cannot see the effects of each other? Or if I do the "A Fistful of Scrip" scheme marker discarding does it extend the activation and then the limited upgrade ability goes off, and I get some resources back? The reason I ask is I am used to thinking about these sorts of timings in terms of Magic: The Gathering (if this was an MtG interaction, the ability would not fire), but that is often not the correct way timings are resolved in Malifaux!

2 answers to this question