Overwhelm vs. Squeal Triggers

Virtus

Question

3 answers to this question

19 minutes ago, Virtus said:

Would a Gremlin with Squeal trigger escape a Rat King's Overwhelm trigger? I believe rules as written (RAW) it does, but rules as intended (RAI) it shouldn't. Just want to clarify. Thanks!

How do you question the intent on that sequence?  There's a reason why, when two triggers would resolve at the same time, the defender's trigger goes first even though for General Timing active model abilities otherwise resolve before defender abilities.

If the defender manages to run away somehow so you can't make the triggered attack, you don't get to make the attack.  Same deal if a Rat King attacks Rasputina and she gets her Sub Zero trigger.

3 minutes ago, solkan said:

How do you question the intent on that sequence?  There's a reason why, when two triggers would resolve at the same time, the defender's trigger goes first even though for General Timing active model abilities otherwise resolve before defender abilities.

If the defender manages to run away somehow so you can't make the triggered attack, you don't get to make the attack.

I wasn't sure if they resolved at the same time because the Rat King's Overwhelm trigger states "immediately."

2 hours ago, Virtus said:

I wasn't sure if they resolved at the same time because the Rat King's Overwhelm trigger states "immediately."

It doesn't in my Crossroads book, it's "After damaging" and it doesn't say "immediately" anywhere in its text either.

• Like 1