First game with Bunraku

D_acolyte

So yesterday I finally got in a game using a Bunraku. These guys are almost like combat lure models, sacrificing the range of there effect for more reliable damage and defense. I got a good amount of work out of the guy just from him not dieing when I need him to live while being in the front line. He also was fairly reliable on his hitting. The two most hit/miss things where his 0 action focus and getting the infect trigger. What are other people experience.

I ran:

Collodi with Breathe Life, Threads of Fate, and Fated

Widow Weaver with Hand Bag

1 Bunraku

2 Mannequins

Arcane Effigy

Brutal Effigy

Coryphée

Beckoner

I won my game 7 to 5 vs a Kirai. Normally I would have brought a Stitched Together but wanted to try out the Bunraku and though there rolls are different I think he did very well in the game. I still had 4 models with Ca attacks so lacking Gamble For Your Life was fine.

I've been eyeing them sideways for inclusion in some 10T builds. The lack of suit requirement on their lure is quite attractive, and Ca 6 is decent enough to pull in the sorts of things that I would want next to it for follow up. I'm curious about how to get multiple :crow into the duel for the Infect trigger, but I might be being greedy.

I definitely like that it can pass off conditions if it dies and give itself Focus as a (0).

24 minutes ago, spooky_squirrel said:

I've been eyeing them sideways for inclusion in some 10T builds. The lack of suit requirement on their lure is quite attractive, and Ca 6 is decent enough to pull in the sorts of things that I would want next to it for follow up. I'm curious about how to get multiple :crow into the duel for the Infect trigger, but I might be being greedy.

I definitely like that it can pass off conditions if it dies and give itself Focus as a (0).

Off of my limited experience:

It is not a Lure like the Lure action more like a reverse gobble you up. Medium range 8 and it pushes the enemy to you instead of moves them to you, note this is the same distance as the models charge threat.. It is also vs DF so some enemies will be harder then the standard Lure. It is still useful, especially vs big things like teddy or Izamu but it does not replace a true Lure model though outside of Lynch taking beckoners your fishing for suits with the Oirans.

Retract will probably not be used to give other models focus when it dies. The reason for this is because I see a good tern being (0)Obscene Preparation, cheat in an 8 of tombs for the Sharpened to a Point trigger, Snatch and auto stab stab stab trigger, spend your focus on the attack from stab stab stab and then make another attack. Doing so means it does not have focus when it dies.

Bunraku are nice little models for a mix of pushes and combat. Snatch is really good if you have others to fallow up and charge the model you brought in.

• Like 1

I recently ran two Bunraku in my Collodi list, and enjoyed great success with them. Granted, I was playing against Undead (Molly) so their low WP made them more susceptible to Snatch, but their durability also proved to be better than their card implies. I ran a Bunraku on each flank, and with the additional AP being pumped out from Collodi and Vasilisa, my Bunraku were able to split Molly's bubble in two by pulling summoned creatures to either side. At one point, a Bunraku was surrounded by Toshiro, 2 Ashigaru and a Punk Zombie (all victims of Snatch), and luckily, he managed to survive against all of them (barring Toshiro) with the Disappear trigger. That's a lot of out-of-position wasted activations on the little ninja puppet. 

I like them a lot! Can't wait to try them out with Lucius next! 

5 minutes ago, Mrbedlam said:

So I've been thinking about Bunraku with Lucius and Master Queeg. He can basically give them double Focus each turn. Which is pretty awesome. 

I don't think you can... The Bunraku's "Obscene Preparations" is for that activation only, so having Queeg allow them to do it outside of their activation won't count (if I understand it correctly). I'm using the same logic applied to the Blood Wretch's 1AP charge that can't be manipulated by control masters. 

If my understanding is wrong - then BOO-YA! That's an awesome suggestion.