Suggestions for dipping a toe into Arcanists?

Longstrider

Hey all. Apologies for yet another of these questions, but I really can't justify going whole hog on a third faction. Long story short, when first got into Malifaux around book 3 of 1E, I picked up the Kaeris box. Since the plastics began though, I've gone all in Thunders and Gremlins, and I'm finding Gremlins in particular incredibly fun.

But playing the (other) good guys (it's just the Gremlins' home, don'tcha know) still appeals, but I really can't spend the time or money on a third faciton in full. I've got Mei Feng and the foundry gang (and I'll be getting the Survivors anyway for Grems), so I'm wondering if there's a good master (or at most 2) to get with that lot, that isn't Ramos. I know he's well recommended, but I'm not particularly interested in spider summoning, and Rasputina and Marcus don't really appeal either. Maybe two or three smaller boxes to get alongside Kaeries/Collette/Ironsides/Sandeep.

My preference is absolutely to build lists after generating strats and schemes, and to play to those, and if possible I like strong theming.

Thanks for any advice!

For Masters/crews: You already have Kaeris, so that rules out getting her (again), unless you prefer the new sculpt and/or need The Firestarter. You might not be keen on Ramos and summoning spiders, but Joss and Howard Langston are really useful with Mei Feng (as living constructs, they can be both a Railwalk target and benefit from Kang's aura). Ironsides brings you The Captain and a trio of Oxfordian Mages, and she loves working with M&SU stuff (like those Metal Gamin).

If you want Sandeep, you'll probably find yourself also wanting Oxfordian Mages. He'll work well with the Metal Gamin Mei Feng's crew brings, and can make use of other Gamin as well (like Kaeris' Fire Gamin).

Colette I had to think about a bit more. She benefits more from access to the wider Arcanist range, but does add Cassandra to your henchman hiring pool. Cassandra is a very good henchman, even in crews that don't involve showgirls. Performers are mercenaries as well, so you could bring them in under Ten Thunders or Gremlins if you need a lure/expunge/seduction ability in crews under them. They can work really interesting shenanigans when combined with crews (like Grab and Drop Kaeris) or models that produce scheme markers outside of the standard Interact (1) (like Union Miners).

For small boxes: To work with Mei Feng and Kaeris, I'm a fan of Large Arachnids. They're constructs, they're minions, and they can produce scrap markers on kills and eat scrap/scheme markers as a (0) for a focus-like boost on all of their attacks. They also work really well with Ironsides. The Mechanical Rider is also generally a solid addition to Arcanists, providing summoning (typically summons Metal Gamin, but is not limited to them), as well as card draw and scheme dropping triggers on her attacks. I'm guessing that you already have the Rail Golem, if so, it's not a bad idea to look at things that can set it on fire for you, like a Union Miner or two (they come 3 per box).

• Like 2

You already have 2 masters for a tertiary faction, I don't think you need many more. Perhaps get 1 extra master that you like the theme of. As for suggested small boxes, spooky squirrel has given sound advice. The suggestions I'd add are as follows:

Johan - especially with Kaeris & Ironsides as they're M&SU masters; Ironsides gives Johan a potent buff if he takes damage and Kaeris can heal him or enhance his mobility. He gains buffs himself from being near M&SU and can heal M&SU as well.

Arcane Effigy - budget condition removal, scheme running and tough as nails. Has very good synergies with Mei Feng, and Kaeris to some extent with its (0). Also, it looks fantastic (easily one of the most aesthetic models in the Arcanist faction)

Malifaux Raptors - great disruption pieces (superb in Interference), and have really powerful synergy with Kaeris' Grab & Drop limited upgrade and Showgirl's Practised Production upgrade for long ranged scheme marker placement. If you go the Colette route, or buy Angelica (do it she's dope), you'll be pleased to have these on hand.

Amina Naidu, proxied. Everything about this new Henchman just reeks of filth, in all the right ways. She's synergistic with Academics and M&SU so is a natural fit with Sandeep, Kaeris & Ironsides as well as any Mages you may decide to bring. Even outside these synergies, I think a shrewd player with Amina is going to be able to really screw with his opponent and control the tempo of the game.

• Like 1

Thanks guys! Both really useful suggestions. I think I'll go with Ironsides for the moment, then. That way if I do decide to go deeper (who am I kidding, it IS malifaux) then Sandeep already has the mages. I've already got Johana too, so that's contributing some to the Union theme. I've also got the Rail Golem, so Raptors and Large Arachnids, and I've got a soft spot for Amina - plus one of my regular opponents loves his Guild Lawyers so it'll be nice to shunt some paperwork his way. :P Later possibilities would be miners and the effigy.

Come to think of it, I also have a Miss Step from a while ago, so all I'd really need to do is convert or proxy myself a Joss, really.

That's quite a handy little set, then, to try various strats and schemes with.