First Tournament upcoming.

SlackerLM

28 minutes ago, SlackerLM said:

I'm going to be going to my first tournament  at the end of the month, I was wondering if there are any suggestions or ideas regarding the process that people would have liked to know during their own first tournament. 

• Be quicker in your play. Tournaments' rounds often finish before turn 5, so practice in being quick help to finish the game and make your opponent happier without any possible slow play
  • Focus on schemes and strat. Often, in free play, we already approach the table with some models in mind to play and regardless of the schemes, we go for them. In tournament, approach with free mind and choose crew purely based on schemes.
  • or on Models you know. If you don't know all models you own, it's probably better to play what you know better so you can focus on schemes and opponents model without worrying too much of remembering your powers.
  • Have fun, don't mind too much on the results :P

Echoing the above advice - try to be quick.  Study the rules beforehand so you're not checking too often for basic things.  Also, study your models - try to have a pretty good idea of what they do, so you're not sitting there going 'I wonder what I can do with this one now...."

It's easy to overthink a move.  In a tournament you kind of need to make a decision.  It will either work or it won't.

I'd advise having some lists drawn up - even if you have a core of 30-35SS drawn up and you adjust the last couple of models based on your opponent or the strats/schemes.  This will save a lot of time. (and organise your cards!)

If the strats and schemes are released beforehand, choose your schemes beforehand, and most of your crew - and even try to have a rough idea of how you're going to approach it (as said before, playing to strats/schemes wins games, not necessarily killing models).

Don't expect your opponent to volunteer as much information or warn you as much before you do something risky/bad.  Expect more people to play to win - but if you let your opponent know you're new most will adjust their approach to suit.  Feel free to ask your opponent what their crew does before a game.

Also, offer your cards to your opponent to view and you can look at the cards of your opponent.  Also make sure you're familiar with any particular tournament / Gaining Grounds rules (such as not touching your deck when you're not using it).

Have fun - Malifaux is a great community and even tournaments are noob friendly.  I hadn't even completed a full game before I went to my first tournament. 

Have fun!  Meet people, ask questions, check out some awesomely painted models!

Always keep your strats and schemes in mind before each model's activation. In general you will be fortunate to make it to round 4 so pick schemes that you can complete by yourself that require as little of the opponent's cooperating as possible. Also keep a cheat sheet of what you can spend soul stones on. Choosing the right moment to impose a negative flip on your opponent can make or break a game.