Monk of Many Styles

RDK

7 hours ago, OneLittleThunder said:

Although if Shenlong uses Monk of Many Styles, Yu does not have to discard anything to pick up the upgrade Shenlong discards (assuming Yu has Promising Disciple attached).

Unless Shenlong wants the upgrade that is attached to Yu :)
Wait, does this mean that Sensei Yu can ignore the normal restrictions for upgrades - the two slots and even the 'Limited' rule? I doubt that Yu can have more than one style at the same time, or am I misunderstanding something?

The relevant part of Promising Disciple reads:

If a friendly Shenlong discards an Upgrade, this model may immediately attach it ignoring all restrictions. If this model has more than one Limited Upgrade attached, it must
immediately discard one of them.

So yes, the two-slot limit is ignored as long as he's taking Shenlong's castoffs, but no, Yu cannot have more than one Limited upgrade.

Also, note that this includes things like Recalled Training if Shenlong discards (uses) one of those...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, OneLittleThunder said:

So yes, the two-slot limit is ignored as long as he's taking Shenlong's castoffs, but no, Yu cannot have more than one Limited upgrade.

Also, note that this includes things like Recalled Training if Shenlong discards (uses) one of those...

Thanks.
About Broken Promises, never felt the need for it. If you need protection, pop a Recalled Training for +to all flips for the turn, or take Misdirection - if you can't misdirect at the opponents models, surely your own TT Bros won't mind :) As OneLittleThunder clarified above, the Recalled Training goes to Yu after Shenlong burns it, too.

19 hours ago, Eclipse said:

As OneLittleThunder clarified above, the Recalled Training goes to Yu after Shenlong burns it, too.

This is my point. Defensively, putting your opponent on :-fate is almost always better than being on :+fate yourself, and if Shenlong uses Broken Promises, Sensei Yu picks it up, giving you two uses out of it.

Theoryfaux:

Shenlong w/ Wandering River Style; Recalled Training; Broken Promises.

Sensei Yu w/ Promising Disciple.

Other thoughts: anything with a discard ability can be kept in this method. Blot The Sky? Shenlong discards to push archers 6" - normally I consider this only as a last gasp panic button, as the ability it offers is too good to discard, but with Shen/Yu the upgrade simply moves to Sensei Yu. It may be worth doing this turn 1 to get archers in range to blot the sky from the off. Dragon Stone? Humourous to get Yu up to df/wp 8 but not worthwhile for the focus when Shenlong could use his (0) to gain focus and something else. Servant of 5 Dragons? Discard twice in 1 turn to remove so many markers that even McMourning will cry.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2016 at 8:52 PM, Skitt_Happens said:

Other thoughts: anything with a discard ability can be kept in this method. Blot The Sky? Shenlong discards to push archers 6" - normally I consider this only as a last gasp panic button, as the ability it offers is too good to discard, but with Shen/Yu the upgrade simply moves to Sensei Yu. It may be worth doing this turn 1 to get archers in range to blot the sky from the off. Dragon Stone? Humourous to get Yu up to df/wp 8 but not worthwhile for the focus when Shenlong could use his (0) to gain focus and something else. Servant of 5 Dragons? Discard twice in 1 turn to remove so many markers that even McMourning will cry.

It never occurred to me to look at all these very promising and disciple-y interactions. But then again, I haven't even assembled Shenlong and Yu yet and have only proxied one or the other so far. The trick with Blot the Sky and Archers sounds especially fun :)

• Like 2