Sue and Ama No Zako

GoldenWG

I have made a goal for myself over the next month of practice games of broadening my model pool and getting more models on the field to test out. The hope is that this will deepen my skill and game knowledge while also exposing me to models that will be useful at events. The first two I tried out were Ama No Zako and Sue. 

The scheme pool was Turf War, Take Prisoner, Show of Force, Frame for Murder, Search The Ruins, Convict labor

This list I took was 

Yan Lo 

Misdirection

Brutal Khakkhara

Reliquary

Soul Porter 

Ama No Zako

Recalled

Shadow Emassiary 

Ancestral 

Sue 

Recalled

Yin Recalled

Tengu 

Opponent list was 

5ss Cache

McMourning: Evidence Tampering, On the Clock

Francisco: Wade In

Sebastian

Master Queeg: Promises

Nurse Heartsbane

Zombie Chihuahua

Austringer

Nurse

Rather than get into the play by play of the game I will focus on just the models I was trying out. Ama was great. She was my frame target. Turn 2 she flew into Frank and put him on hard to kill. She took a beating before a henchmen had to put her down scoring me 3 points. Her high damage track is great. The long flying charge is good. The heal trigger is nice to have as is terrifying 13. Overall thought, she is a solid beater who has some nice tricks. Her O action terrain is cool when occupying space. Her obey is powerful at the right time. 

Sue’s merc tax has always made me hesitant. But the fast that is avaible in TT means that he is shooting 3 times at 12 inches with + to the attack flip. He is a nice gunfighter. His support actions are good. In any game some of them will be useful. His “Hurt” card draw was very nice because I was able to use the tengu’s regen ability on him so I drew three cards without losing a wound. 

I hope these thoughts are useful on some less used models in the faction. I will next try out Wonder weasel. He seems so good.

• Like 1

Put smoke grenades on Sue, between that and negative flips to casting in a 3" aura, makes him really good as a bodyguard and can really make ca heavy crews pay. Add in Sidir with Promises and you can really go to town on heavy wp based crews. Played a Pandy-player at the last tournament, and really stymied him with those two in a Lynch crew. By the end of turn 3 he only had a tot on the board.

• Like 2

Ama is great for Frame for Murder; she is so mobile, and hits so hard, that she has to be a priority target for most opponents. She's particularly fun against Gremlins; I frankly don't find Swallow You Whole to be the right choice very often, but the possibility of her instantly killing Francois or Fingers or Trixiebelle can often panic your opponent.

Sue is just solid all around. I don't find myself taking him that often since he's not awesome at anything in particular, but the anti-Cast aura is great against Raspy/Wong/Sonnia. And a well-timed Peace in the Valley trigger will make Nicodem all kinds of sad. :) He also makes a nice combo with Mei Feng for Turf War/Extraction thanks to Ring of Fire.

As for the Kamaitachi, I love him in a McCabe crew when I'm not using Guild Hounds. Shenlong also benefits a lot when he doesn't need the Peasants for free scheme markers and extra conditions. Haven't tried him with other masters since I like their inherent totems so well, but I'm curious to see what you think!