The Governor-General: What do we know about him?

Grimcleaver

The Fated are currently embroiled in a plot by a gang of ex-convicts to abduct the Governor-General, clap him in irons and make him toil away underground as they had been forced to do.

Which is all awesome.

But who is this guy? Do we know anything about him? Like a name or a description? Anything will help--even knowing for sure what isn't known will help.

Also I hear there's been a new adventure and as a result there might even be a whole new Governor-General...uh-oh. How much is this going to mess things up?

I don't recall any specifics either, I believe the most information you get on him comes from Shifting Loyalties, and a pretty important Chronicles Halloween Story from a while back that sets up Shifting Loyalties. The TTB books offer a couple different suggestions of who he could be, and the simplest answer to your question would be to ignore the metaplot and don't worry too much about the events in Nythera.

I don't have the older books, but he's also the father of the Lost Love, Kirai's murdered fiancé. He didn't like his son getting together with a prostitute, and the son sacrificed himself to save her from an assassin. Thats the only other time the Governor has been directly relevant, I think. 

As a result of the Nythera campaign last fall (and the Nythera Penny Dreadful), one of the candidates came out on top. We probably won't know too much more about Marlow until Book 4 comes out. But it really shouldn't matter too much. Just go with the story you're crafting :)

Whee! I've fallen down the rabbit hole of metaplot. Thanks Cinnamon Bear for the reading list. I've got a copy of Shifting Loyalties and am reading through all the fiction--and wow I am so lost. It's like I'm not even playing a game in the same setting--so much is in motion that I didn't even know was going on.

Do we know what the falling red star is yet? Why are everyone's eyes glowing blue (the Governor General, Perdita Ortega...)?

Yep. Totally out of my depth. Yay!

13 minutes ago, Grimcleaver said:

Do we know what the falling red star is yet? Why are everyone's eyes glowing blue (the Governor General, Perdita Ortega...)?

Without looking back at the story, I'm guessing it's the Red Cage. It was the culmination of the stories in Rising Powers, back in 1st edition, where the Tyrant Plague (i.e., Hamelin) attempted to ascend by lowering the Red Cage from the sky. The Red Cage was imprisoning the Tyrant Cherufe (which possessed Sonnia Criid to gain a mortal host), but Hamelin's ascension was foiled by Kirai Ankoku. 

When the Red Cage hit the Bayou, it released a tidal wave of aetheric energy that caused many powerful magic users to partially ascend and develop Avatars. Perdita's and the Governor's eyes are a result of being hit by that energy wave... and sort of set the stage for the Governor attempting to follow in the footsteps of Hamelin, Cherufe, and others by becoming a Tyrant himself, the results of which are described in Shifting Loyalties.

• Like 2

Wow...this is fantastic stuff. Just read the exchange between Perdita and the Governor General. Did I ever peg that guy wrong! ...He's kind of awesome.

I'd sort of pegged the Governor General as sort of hiding in his mansion, buried in debauchery and hedonism, sort of this sad, fat old helpless character who's bit by bit reliquished all of his power to Lucius until now he's less the man in charge and more a prisoner in a golden castle.

Yeah...not so much.

For folks interested in a physical description, here's what I get from the story: a blunt, craggy faced man in an outfit that's somewhere between a union general's uniform and a fascist dictator's. I picture Ray Wise when I read him.

Ray Wise.jpg