New Fatemaster - How does magic actually work

Reynastus

Hi All

This probably is a silly question and all but I just want to get it really clear in my head, and the fated almanac isn't really helping all that much.

Casting a spell at a target (lets say elemental engulf magia + Fire immuto) using the Oxfordian method to cast for a full round action. The TN of the Magia is 5, the burning Immuto TN modification is +2 making it a total TN 7T with the resist being Wp.

My understanding of this would be that a flip would be made first to see if the spell cast was successful (adding tenacity ascpect to the total) which then if successful would require a second flip and adding the targets Wp to see if it resists. If the target is NPC how do you work out if the spell hit or not?

Thanks in advance

Rey

It's mentioned in the section for Attack Actions on page 207 of the Fated Almanac:

Magical attacks also have a Casting Target Number that must be beaten, in addition to beating the Resist Target Number of the target (see Chapter 8: Magic).

So both TNs apply to a Fated casting a spell at a Fatemaster Character in a single Duel.