Need help with pig skin

TheLostOne

The key is super thin layers. Dozens of them. I personally use a pink/beige mix, but regardless of color, you have to subtly build the highlights on the smooth skin. Since the minis are so fat and delicious and cute and OMG I LOVE THEM there's not a lot of wiggle room.

Go slow. Start with piglet and see if you like the overall effect before you move onto Old Major or the pigapult.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheLostOne said:

Hey all I'm new to gremlins and I'm having problems with getting a natural looking pig skin. I would appreciate any suggestions.

If you mean the shades. I mix the typical fleshtones with pink and violet. It gives the pig more pinkish color. I am using spanish colors, mostly Andrea and Scale75 colors, if nothing, it will give you hint, what I mean. 

For base layer I used 1:1 SC34 - Fuchsia and SC20 - Basic Flesh with some water

For lightnings I am using more and more light skin tones like or you can add white color as well. 

For shadows I add just a little bit by bit more of SC56 - Violet. It will make deeper and deeper shadows. 

There is need to use glazing/layering technique or wet blending to achieve good result. So after base layer is applied, I use only very thinned colors to make thin layers like "wolpertinger_press" said. I use combination of 1:1:1 for color:water:glaze medium(Vallejo brand), but its just what I like. You should really watch out, what you are doing, the previous layer has to be dry, or there is danger to erase that. 

Even better color transition you can get with the wet blending, where you apply different color between previously applied color. But its quite advanced technique, you need to have some kind of color extender to slower drying and have quite good experience with mixing colors, to get the correct color to model's part in-time.

You can see my entry for Iron Painter 2016. I painted Gracie.

Hope this helps a bit.

• Like 3

For pigs you can usually get away with just base coat of a pinkish flesh color, perhaps a highlight or two, and then just a layer or two of glaze (Citadel Shade) to define them. The recipe I use is:

1) Citadel Base Bugman's Glow

2) Citadel Layer Bestigor Flesh or Cadian Fleshtone

3) Citadel Layer Ungor Flesh or Kislev Flesh

4) Citadel Shade Reikland Flesh Shade or Seraphim Sepia

You can also use Citadel Layer Stormvermin Fur to create some grayish spots.

These colors will give you some variety but still keep everything close in terms of consistency.