Quick cheat fate question

Baddaysbasil

Question

My apologies if this has been answered before, but it's a very simple question and a quick answer will save me a lot of poring over rules questions (and it's urgent!).

The question is simple but I'll provide a long-winded exame just to be clear:

Can the player who is currently losing a duel cheat fate and play a card from his hand that will still make him the loser of the duel?  Or must cheating fate result in a win for the cheater?  The primary reason I ask is for purposes of the accuracy modifier during attacks. 

Example:. Player A is winning the duel (let's say a melee attack) with a total of 20.  Player B is losing with a 9, so player A will ultimately get a positive flip on the damage result because of a difference of 11.

Assume player B cannot possibly get higher than 21 duel total in order to win the duel with 22 and avoid the attack, but he has a card in hand that can bring him to 21, which would still result in a successful attack but instead add two negative flips on the damage.  Is it legal to do so?

The quickstart rules mention cheating fate to change the result of a duel to victory (but stop right there) and the 2e rulebook just came in today for me, but from what I skimmed it's similarly vague on this point.

Any help would be appreciated!

5 answers to this question

22 minutes ago, feagaur said:

Cheating in a low tome with Marcus is often done. Especially if he's next to an enemy beast. The opponent gets plus flips, get(probably) high damage and Marcus just slopey shoulders it straight into the enemy beast.

If the enemy have :+fate they can pick any of the cards, including the lowest one.