Shenlong's Avatar Upgrade

Paradigm

Question

Shenlong's Avatar upgrade states the following: "Enemy models within 6" may not take Interact actions and count as having the peon characteristic." I've been thinking about that last part. At first glance I assumed it is supposed to interfere with a bunch of schemes and strategies that do not work for peons, but on closer inspection I realized that it might have far wider implications (p. 55, Core). The following questions come to mind:

Can a henchman or master within 6" Shenlong use soulstones?

Does a master activating within 6" of Shenlong get 2 or 3 AP?

3 answers to this question

A model never has more than one Station characteristic, as it defines several abilities available to the model. These are:

•How many different Upgrades the model may have.

•Whether or not it can use Soulstones.
•How many General AP it generates when it Activates.

•What size Crew the model leads.

Bullet point #1 and bullet point #4 are crew construction limits, so those aren't going to apply retroactively.  But the other two bullet points are going to apply, and change when the model "counts as a peon".

If a master is within :aura6 when it activates and performs the Generate AP step, it's going to count as a peon when it generates AP and get two.  Likewise, it's going to count as a peon when it tries to use soulstones.

And that first sentence "A model never has more than one Station characteristic" is what stops this being a 'Breaking the Rules' scenario.    Otherwise, you have no idea at all how many AP the model generates.

For comparison, Madame Sybelle's Death Mark

Death Mark: After damaging, the target must discard one card or gain the following Condition until the end of the game: “Death Mark: This model is treated as having the Peon characteristic for Encounter purposes and may not take Interact Actions.“

Death Mark doesn't change the model's AP generation or soulstone use because it specifies "for Encounter purposes".

22 hours ago, Paradigm said:

and count as having the peon characteristic.

I would think as it stands with that wording you would have both stations.  Pg 28 Breaking the Rules. I think it just removes them from participating in many schemes and strats.

To me "counts as having"  is worded such that they don't lose their current station, if they were to lose their current station you would see a word like "replace".