How do you play vs Hamelin?

Van-Vought

Hi all brothers of thunder, how and who do you guys usually play vs an Hamelin crew? I've faced, for the first time, an Hamelin + brotherood of the rat + Killjoy crew, in the tournament of yesterday and i felt totally overwhelmed. I was playng as Yan Lo[fortify spirit, wing of wind, brutal khakkhara], with Toshiro[command the graves], Izamu[5 dragons], Dawn Serpent, Drunken Master Bro, Wastrel to sacrifice turn 1 to get an ashigaru and chi, rail worker.  The Strategy was Interference. Turn one, with a series of activation my opponent has been able to get killjoy (that started the game buried) in range with my dawn serpent and fermented monk, being able to kill the monk and give 7 damage on the serpent; now i was alredy far out-activeted by model count before even starting the game, from that moment i had no way to be able to get any point at all, even if yan lo trascended during the game to a kill machine status where he killed a couple of rat catchers, nix, and 2 rat king.  What does you guys bring to keep the peace of a such activation monster as Hamelin?  Whad does you guys usually bring to counter beater like Killjoy?

Forgive my poor English and thx for all the advice that will came!

You can never match Hamelin for activations, so don't worry about that. I would try a few things here, though. First, samurai are pretty good v rats. They're weak and easy to hit, so he can really help keep them under control. Second, Yin might be good against Killjoy, as she is pretty hard to hit. Two hits from him kill her, but Yan Lo pulsing out some armor can help there, too. Remember 10T brothers as well, because rat kings will make it impossible to keep scheme markers in play without protect our holdings to help you. Lastly, if at all possible, kill the obedient wretch as soon as you can. Taking her out will really put pressure on the rat summoning cycle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, the proxy union said:

Hamelin lists usually have 2-2.5 beatsticks in the list. so focus on those 2.5 models and try to keep the rats mostly under control. blasts are somewhat useful, and condition removal is a good idea.

-Proxy

Both blasts and condition removal can be great, but don't lean on them too heavily. If they take Nix, he can set up an aura that negates all :blastand :pulse damage. Also, if you're too close to Nix or Hamelin, they have an :aura that says you can't remove Plagued. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tomjoad said:

You can never match Hamelin for activations, so don't worry about that. I would try a few things here, though. First, samurai are pretty good v rats. They're weak and easy to hit, so he can really help keep them under control. Second, Yin might be good against Killjoy, as she is pretty hard to hit. Two hits from him kill her, but Yan Lo pulsing out some armor can help there, too. Remember 10T brothers as well, because rat kings will make it impossible to keep scheme markers in play without protect our holdings to help you. Lastly, if at all possible, kill the obedient wretch as soon as you can. Taking her out will really put pressure on the rat summoning cycle.

+1 to this.

Nobody has killed my Obedient Wretch in our group yet, but if they did, I think I'd suddenly find myself very lost.

Also, if you start to see multiple rats in close proximity to each other, it IS worth it to kill a couple of them.  That goes doubly if you see 4 next to each other, it means I'm a single activation away from a Rat King, if you have ANYTHING at all that can kill even a single rat with this activation, DO IT!
Some people seem to have the mindset of "It's only a 2pt rat, I don't want to waste a good activation on a rat", but if you don't, I get a free 8 point model (possibly multiple).   Rats are easy to kill and ignoring them will hurt more later.

As far as Killjoy, my opponents that have successfully dealt with him have done one of two things.   Either surround my models when they kill them so there is no room to even summon Killjoy, or have a sacrificial model kill the thing that I'm obviously intending to summon Killjoy from, with a bunch of super-killy stuff nearby ready to focus on Killjoy hard.
Most opponents who play the first few rounds with Killjoy in mind, and make dealing with him a large part of their plans, seem to have little problem with him, easily removing a huge chunk of my crew.

Oh, and with the exception of the handful of killy figures I bring (Killjoy, Baby Kade, Johan), my thematic stuff grinds to a halt when it has to try and kill something with Armor.

• Like 1

I usually go with killjoy plus 10 point model to flavor. I've had the wretch knocked out in early and mid turns before. but as long as one of the beaters survives at least 4 turns, I am likely in good shape; The wretch is really just there to out activate the opponent. It does the job really well and if you can kill it the game becomes much more even, but the other models in the list end up doing more of the killing and scheming for me. 

Also, the OP was playing against Hamelin in Interference. thats like playing Ramos in Recon. Keeping strategy points there is rough when you are paying against Hamelin in a table quarters game. maybe try to out scheme them for points? Its a rough match but you can still win it. just not by huge margins.

-Proxy

• Like 1

Last time I played against Hamelin was with Mei Feng.  He brought a similar list, using Killjoy and the Obedient Wretch for activation control.  Once Killjoy hit the field, Mei Feng went to work.  By the time Killjoy came out, Mei Feng was already quickly up the board, surrounded by his models.  Killjoy pops up and attacks Mei Feng, whom I trigger Misdirection against.  He hits her once out of the 3 attacks, but only because he had cards in his hand to negate the effect of Misdirection.  Because he didn't have enough to negate the second 2 times, he ended up killing his own Rat Catcher instead.  Turn 2 starts, and I begin with Kang opening up on him, and because Killjoy is Undead, he got positives to all his flips, and so between him and Mei Feng, they were able to take him down.  The rest of the game, Mei Feng spent the majority of it killing Rats with Vapormancy, and hiding in her Steam Cloud.

Wasn't a bad game in the end either (10-10 tie).  Had I played a bit more defensively with Mei Feng on the last turn, I may have won, but it was also the first time I faced against the dedicated Rat summoning from Hamelin's crew.

• Like 1

I remember that being a really tense game all the way through. I probably should have gone after kang early. oh well, live and learn.

Also, we should totally start youtube-ing our games; they are super intense when I'm not messing around with the C7 crew.

-Proxy

Edited by the proxy union
  • Like 1