Pigs and scheme running

cfrag

So, I have started playing with piglets and old major, but without upgrades.

I have found that, despite the good mobility, I end up not being able to drop or destroy schemes with my piglets because there is almost always a legal target for a charge and after that I'm in combat. Even after using the push trigger I still have to charge because there is a legal charge target. Am I doing it wrong?

Is there a way to rely on pigs for scheme running or should I just keep a couple bayour grems and let the pigs do the combat?

Will the corn husks upgrade help on that? 

If you have a model with the Pork Whisperin' ability (Ulix, Penelope, Hog Whisperers and Som'er/Sammy with the pig feed upgrade), it does wonders. It allows the pigs to ignore Set'er Off for their whole activation even if they leave the range of the aura during it. That helps them be scheme runners if you need, and if you've got Old Major, you can use him to block LoS/path to legal charge targets so your piglets can drop markers. They're not particularly good at marker schemes though, just because of their low Wk. A bayou gremlin or two is a better idea for cheap marker scheme runners.

What piglets are incredible at is both Distract and Cursed Object, which are interact actions which can be taken while engaged. So you charge an enemy model as a (1) action, then as a (1) interact with them to give them the condition. It's improved by Corn Husks because they can do the charge thing, then interact as a (0) and get off another attack afterwards. The only thing to be careful of here is hitting with a :tome on one of the charge attacks, because it will end the piglet's activation before it can interact. Make sure if you're doing this to have a card to cheat in just in case.

EDIT: Also don't forget, if you have some Gremlins in your crew, piglets could always charge a friendly model if they desperately need to drop a scheme marker somewhere, and then they will be within 2" of a friendly Gremlin model when they declare the interact.

Edited by Dogmantra
  • Like 1

Thanks for the quick and detailed reply.

I was actually using a couple gremlins and I noticed how effective a gremlin is dropping schemes! Never really considered the effectiveness of pigs for distract schemes, but it makes sense that they're so good! Which brings me to another question:

If you kill a distracted enemy, does it still count towards the scheme?