Unboxing Malifaux - Wong's 'Explosive Solutions' Starter Set

GMort

They do look a lot better than the renders indicated. Even Mancha Roja is better looking as a sculpt then the render was. The Lightning bugs seem a bit fragile and prone to break. But hopefully the plastic cements / glues can hold them in place. The effects are quite nice looking actually. Hm. It's not as bad a box as I had feared seeing the art and renders. 

Great unboxing Gmort. 

• Like 1

Still not fond of Mancha Roja. His lower half is just standing there legs level and feet facing forward while his upper half if doing all sorts of things. Really weird design. Also not very fond of his cloak.

The Bugs' magic effects do look better in plastic than they did in the renders. They do look fragile and will certainly be a challenge to paint. I do like the actual Gremlins quite a bit. Especially the flying one has a great sense of movement to it.

And Assistant looks good. Though I hope that the crack between her face and hair is just due to Gmort assembling a ton of these and not indicative of a poor fit between the pieces.

Wong is a great sculpt but it not being a new design is definitely a disappointment (though of course well-known by this time).

Thank you GMort! Much appreciated as always!

If you see the layout of the pieces in GMorts' page, you can tell that the lovely assistant has a full face and there is no mould/assembly line going through it. I wonder why it looks like it does, though.

I think that mancha roja's face is the least interesting piece. The legs standing apart so bland make sense in the way that he just stands there waving that gremlin back and forth to any one close by. I was kinda hopeful (before seeing his render) that the guy would sport a mexican style moustache. that would look aces (especially as he could pick that up from Wong since they are in a crew together).

• 5 months later...

This thread may be long dead, but here goes... (Relative newbie to Malifaux, and first time poster.)

On Lightning Bug #1 (as defined by the external link above), the piece of the model which represents the blast meeting the ground has a rod sticking straight up from it. This would seem to be intentional and not designed to be cut off, as it would add stability to a precariously (and awesomely) posed model. However, there does not seem to be a receptacle for this rod in the upward trending portion of the spell blast. Is this my first encounter with a Malifaux piece that I am expected to puncture/drill? Is the rod intended to be cut off? I feel like I am missing something obvious and basic here. Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!