TTB FAQ and Errata (8/17/15)

Mason

• 1 month later...

What is a valid target for the "Bury" Magia?

In the miniatures game, Bury must target a "model" but in TTB the description refers to a "target" without elaborating.  For my own games, I've ruled that the target must be a character, but there was some discussion with my group during the Nythera 1 session about whether or not Bury could be used to remove a control collar (essentially just teleporting it to within 1 yard of the caster) or target inanimate objects in general.

What is a valid target for the "Bury" Magia?

In the miniatures game, Bury must target a "model" but in TTB the description refers to a "target" without elaborating.  For my own games, I've ruled that the target must be a character, but there was some discussion with my group during the Nythera 1 session about whether or not Bury could be used to remove a control collar (essentially just teleporting it to within 1 yard of the caster) or target inanimate objects in general.

That's a good one.

I'm thinking that since the wording is the same as mind control - and that it'd be weird for a control collar to take a 1 AP Action - it should probably only affect a character. That also cuts down on a whole bunch of potential abuse, such as Burying walls just to unbury them next to steal an enemy's cover from them, or burying entire buildings.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hokay, so...  when the Bury spell ends, does the person who cast the spell need to have line-of-sight to the target when the target becomes unburied?

For my own group, I ruled yes--the target must appear in a safe location and how do you know it's safe if you can't see it?--but there is an argument that the spell could not be cast if the ultimate destination of the target was not safe, even if the caster could not see that destination (and someone also asked if Bury was how the Death Marshals get people into those lovely coffins they carry if the coffins are always chained up).

Sorry, I thought this was pretty much resolved as far as my own group goes, but the fellow who pays James Beckett in Nythera is determined to develop new and clever uses for the Bury spell regardless of my rulings.

Placing the unburied character within line of sight is probably the way to go for truly strange application of the spell.

However, whether or not a location is safe sort of exists independent of whether or not the Fated can see it. If it's pitch black and the Fated can't see, the target will still be unburied in a safe place... if the Fated tries to unbury them in an unsafe place, either have them pick a new location or have the target be unburied in the closest safe location.

• Mason unpinned this topic