Burning Rails/Gravel Bases?

retnab

Hey all, I recently picked up the Kaeris box and was wanting to get them painted up and based but I have a small problem - while I found a nice tutorial for painting flames on models I haven't been able to find one for bases.  All my crews have a dark brown gravel with rails and wood beams for their bases and that's generally what I was hoping to do for the Kaeris box set as well but with some burning effect to show the burning models (like Fire Gamin) walking along the rails.  Does anyone have any recommendations on things to do or places to look?

As what we call flames are the rising incandescent gases I don't see how you could just paint them onto something else and have it look like flames, I mean no one is going to mistake flames painted on the side of a car for actual flames.

You could sculpt flames from putty and then paint them in the normal way. Or if you want something more subtle put soot marks where the models have walked, perhaps file down wood parts a bit before blackening them to show material that has been burnt away.

Hey all, I recently picked up the Kaeris box and was wanting to get them painted up and based but I have a small problem - while I found a nice tutorial for painting flames on models I haven't been able to find one for bases.  All my crews have a dark brown gravel with rails and wood beams for their bases and that's generally what I was hoping to do for the Kaeris box set as well but with some burning effect to show the burning models (like Fire Gamin) walking along the rails.  Does anyone have any recommendations on things to do or places to look?

Maybe something like 'Fantasy film' would work. (Here's am example of what it is, google tends to show movies: http://www.homecrafts.co.uk/buy-fantasy-film-sets-m600i?SID=5189&gclid=CPGMkbfcsMcCFS3MtAodvl8ExA)

Dunoo if its any good, but might be worth looking into.