Line of sight and Auras.

johnd37

Question

Is line of sight required for auras, and bursts?

In my 101 rules book, the description of Aura, makes no reference to line of sight,

then gives an example aura with no reference to it either, but then says this example would need it.

Looking on the web, I found if something says 'target' an item, like a marker, you would need line of sight to it, but if it just has to be in range then you don't.

Is the example wrong, or is the default, you need line of sight unless something says you don't?

It cam up in a game, when I trying to use 'Powered by flame' across a small hut, that blocked LOS to the damaged enemy.

I think the other factor is the "But we might some day want to have a Ht X aura generated by a Ht Z model" capability, putting it in print, and then possibly deciding "No, let's not ever do that, it's confusing" in the secret developer meetings.   ;)

If they ever make "terrain" auras that block LOS or something like that, then their Ht stat will matter.  Just like Academic on the Transmortis models, I think you're right in that it doesn't do anything NOW, but they put it in there for later possibilities.