Penny Dreadful into Malifaux

Kofibrake

Hello Wyrdos

(Beware, spoilers abound)

I have been thinking about creating a new crew for the Outcasts, or actually, day dreaming about Wyrd coming up with a new crew. This one would be the characters from the show Penny Dreadful from Showtime.

Why Penny Dreadful?

DUDE! 

Victorian age? Check

Supernatural horror? Check

Cowboys and Werewolves and Whitches and zombies and Vampires into the mix with Frankenstein's monster? Check

it checks the correct boxes plus it's damn good!

Just Imagine fielding some lookalikes from the show for the game with shennanigans based on the characters from the show

Crew - Lord Malcolm's coterie

Master - Lord Malcolm (Cursed Character that has some weakness from past guilt)

Enforcer/ Malcolm's Totem - Miss Ives (Prone to Demonic possession and maybe Black Blood)

Enforcer - Ethan Chandler (Enjoys a good bout of Licanthropy, just as the next man)

Enforcer - Sembene (casts the odd curse)

Enforcer - Dr Frankenstein - Can spawn Flesh Constructs

Minion - Dr Lyle - Adds bonuses due to his unsurpassable lore in the fallen arts (and hair antics)

They do seem to fit Outcasts more than anything since they are so distant characters from each other and I wouldnt sign them under Arcanists or Guild anyhoo. 

I would love your opinion on making them playable

Ta!

I cannot add anything as I'm just getting into Malifaux.  I have not even played a game yet, still assembling and painting my crews and reading the rulebook.  But I love Penny Dreadful.  The similarities are actually why I was drawn to this game.  Anyway, great idea.  Hope others will chime in. 

That's a great Idea, Carcosa. Maybe in that case, she would be his Henchman?

When I look at the show and put my Malifaux thinking cap on, I see Miss Ives as a support enforcer/ Totem as the Totem /enforcer in Tara's crew. 

This is because she is "like a daughter" to Lord Malcolm, hence he would bring her along. She has a relevant role in the dynamics but she AINT DA MAN!

Lord Malcolm does seem to act as some sort of glue/father figure in so many ways, not just for Miss Ives, but also for the rest of the team. They would be a hell of a hodge-podgier team if not for him. 

oh and that Dorian Gray, totally Neverborn...

Looks at Avatar for RJM

Alucard would approve :D

That would be Pride from FMA: Brotherhood.

Heh. :)  The Dreamer <--> Pride, is something that's always been a fun comparison in my mind.  Now that the Dreamer plastic set is out, I plan on a conversion inspired by such.

I plan on starting to watch the show soonish

I finally got around to it last year after having been a fan of the original FMA for a long time.  It's well worth the watch.

@ Kofi

I was thinking that Mina and Peter could perform the role of totems as tortured spirits that act like Shesin for Sir Malcolm in a way similar to the way they do for Kirai.

Give Ives the ability to summon them though. and perhaps have a built in drawback if they die. (give Malcolm poison 1 which cannot be removed??)

OK

Have basically mapped out Sir Malcolm, and a rough sketch for Vanessa, Ethan Chandler, the totem(s :D ) and have idea's for Victor, Dorian, and Sembene rattling around in my skull.

Once Malcolm, Vanessa and the Totem is worked out, I will post them here for people to critique.

Ok, be gentle folks this is a rough (but complete) write up of what I am thinking for this crew.

Sir Malcolm Murray: Master, Living, Coterie

DF: 6 WP: 6 WND: 10 WK: 5 CG: 5 HT: 2

Others always pay: (DF/WP :crow ): After an attack action against Sir Malcolm succeeds, target friendly Coterie member within 3" and LOS suffers the effect of the action as if it were the target instead of this model, including any triggers. If this model is a Suffering, you must declare this trigger, if able.

Hard to kill: while this model has 2 or more wounds remaining when it suffers damage, it may not be reduced to below 1 wound.

Accomplice: After this model ends it's activation, a friendly model within 6" may activate immediately as a chain activation.

Crack Shot: This Model does not flip a card for friendly Coterie models when randomly determining a target for shooting into engagements. This action can also declare 2 triggers.

ATTACK ACTIONS:

(1) .44 pistol ( SH: 7 Res: DF Rng: 12 :ranged ) Target suffers 2/3/4 damage.

:ram Critical Strike: When damaging the target, this attack deals +1 damage  for each :ram in the final duel total.

:mask Accuracy: If this action succeeds, the damage flip gains :+fate.

:tome Leg Shot: In addition to damage, the target gains the slow condition.

:crow Gut shot: In addition to damage, the target gains the poison 1 condition.

(1) Sword cane (ML: 5 Res: DF Rng 1 :melee ) Target suffers 2/2/4 Damage. This strike can declare 2 triggers.

:ram Precise: This strike ignores Armour.

:mask Enchanted: This strike ignores Incorpreal.

:tome Damaging: This strike ignores hard to wound.

:crow Wounding: This strike ignores hard to kill.

TACTICAL ACTIONS:

(1) Move out! ( Ca: 7 TN: 13 Res: WP Rng 8" ) Friendly non spirit coterie model in range takes a (1) action.

(0) Stiff upper lip: ( Ca: 5 TN: 12 :tome ) This model heals 2/2/3 damage, 

• Like 1

The Suffering

Totem, Spirit, Coterie  Rare 2, Cost 0

DF: 5 WP: 5 WND: 4 WK: 4 CG: 6 HT: 2

Incorpreal: This Model ignores, and is ignored by other models and terrain during any movement or push. Reduce all damage this model suffers from SH or ML attack actions by half

Unhireable: This model may not be hired, only summoned.

Insignificant: This model May not take interact actions.

Hard to Wound: Damage flips against this model suffer :-fate.

Regeneration: At the start of this models activation, it heals 1 wound.

Unending doom: If this model dies within 6" :pulse of Sir Malcolm or Vanessa Ives, it gains the Unearthly Din condition.

ATTACK ACTIONS:

Howl of the damned: CA: 5 TN: 14 Rst: WP RNG: 12" Target suffers 1/2/3 damage

If this attack succeeds, target gains the following condition:

Unearthy Din. This model suffers -1 WP and whenever this model performs a successful attack action, it suffers 1 damage.

TACTICAL ACTIONS:

(1) Heart of Darkness: CA: 6 TN:10 RNG: 6"

Discard a card, target Coterie member gains the that suit until the end of the turn 

A few minor things:

Others always pay: [...] If this model is a Suffering, you must declare this trigger, if able.

"This model" will always be Sir Malcolm Murray, since the ability is on his card. I'm guessing you were going for a clause that forces Murray to declare the trigger if The Suffering is a valid target? Perhaps something like:

Others Always Pay (Df/Wp :crow): After an Attack Action succeeds against this model, target friendly Coterie model within 3" suffers the effect of the action as if it were the target instead of this model, including any triggers. If a friendly The Suffering is within :aura 3" of this model, this trigger must be declared if able, and must target a friendly The Suffering.

(LoS doesn't need to be mentioned, because "target" and auras both implicitly require LoS.)

Crack Shot: [...] This action can also declare 2 triggers.

The sentence above needs to be moved to the .44 Pistol Attack Action.

On a design point, I really like the ability to declare two triggers on the attacks without having any built-in suits. It makes spending a stone for a suit an engaging choice (and is nice synergy for The Suffering). You might need to state explicitly that it's two different triggers, otherwise I can see people going "I flipped a Ram, so I'll declare my two triggers: Crit strike and crit strike!"

I think it's pretty funny that Murray can shoot someone in the gut and the leg with a single bullet. He's that good.

(1) Move out! ( Ca: 7 TN: 13 Res: WP Rng 8" ) Friendly non spirit coterie model in range takes a (1) action.

Tactical Actions don't have a Resist, and the wording could be made a bit more standard. Something like:

(1) "Move out!" (Ca 7 / TN 13 / Rg 8): Target friendly non-Spirit Coterie model may immediately take a (1) Action.

I'll also suggest that this Action is fairly weak - Masters who use these kind of friendly-only AP manipulation abilities tend to get more value than just trading one of the Master's AP for one of the target's. Look to Lucius or Colette for examples of these "Action economy" abilities - adding triggers or built-in bonus effects will help.

The Suffering needs a Station - I'm guessing Peon - and should probably be Totem (Sir Malcolm Murray), even though it's impossible for anyone else to summon one. How does one summon The Suffering, out of interest?

The Suffering has a ton of abilities on the front of its card. Most models have no more than four.

Unending doom: If this model dies within 6" :pulse of Sir Malcolm or Vanessa Ives, it gains the Unearthly Din condition.

This reads that The Suffering gains the Unearthly Din Condition when it dies, which doesn't make much sense. For what I assume you're after, how about:

Unending Doom: When this model is killed, friendly Sir Malcolm Murray and Vanessa Ives models within :pulse 6" gain the Unearthly Din Condition until the end of the Turn.

This is a pretty huge downside for a Master that starts at Wp 6 and has relatively low Wds. Personally, I'd spread the love around a bit at least:

Unending Doom: When this model is killed, models within :pulse 6" gain the Unearthly Din Condition until the end of the Turn.

Quick rewrite of Howl and Heart for clarity:

(1) Howl of the Damned (Ca 5 / TN 14 / Rst: Wp / Rg 12): Target model suffers 1/2/3 damage and gains the following Condition until the end of the Turn: "Unearthly Din: This model's Wp is reduced by 1. After this model succeeds with an Attack Action, it suffers 1 damage."

(1) Heart of Darkness (Ca 6 / TN 10 / Rg 6): Discard a card. Target Coterie model may add the suit of the discarded card to all Duels until the end of the Turn.

Other thoughts:

At this stage, Sir Murray looks like a very weak Master. His stats aren't particularly good, he debuffs himself in the usual course of play, his attacks are decent but he's not much of a fighter compared to most other Masters, and he's a little over-synergised with the Coterie. That's not a bad thing - it's much easier to add things to raise a model's power than to remove them to reduce it - I'm just pointing out that he's got a way to go before he'll be on par. A lot will depend on his upgrades, obviously.

I feel like The Suffering should have a (0) Action to get into base contact with Sir Murray. They seem to want to stick with him, but they'll always be running to catch up. This could also be used to reduce the abilities on the front of their card:

(0) Tormentor: Push this model into base contact with target friendly Sir Malcolm Murray within 10", then this model heals 1 damage.

(That lets them do more of what it seems they're supposed to do, and means they don't need Regeneration.)

Anyway, good start, and I'm interested to see more!

• Like 2

That was some great feedback, thank you. you guys are doing a great job of fleshing this out. 

And spoilers, people.

I agree that Lord Malcolm does seem a bit under par. I would place his starting wounds as 12 just like most masters, for one. There are some easy to explore weaknesses, I agree, but the feel is getting in touch with the show, and this is the point.

But Carcosa is damn right about it: upon the demise of the Totems, he should get some penalty- his past guilt kicking in for the tragedy that befell his kin. 

Mayhaps the way for Malcolm is to be under some power aura while both totems are still in play, and a reduction on the benefits in case either or both perish.

Or they allow him to cast more (0) AP, perhaps? 

Moving to other characters, how about having Miss Ives causing an automatic damage on anything with Black blood, whilst being immune to it? This would be her "fated power" kicking in. 

She could also have a (0) AP -  Verbis Diablo (CA 7  /  TN 13  /  Rg 12 ) Target Model gets paralyzed unless it can discard 2 cards. 

this could be her trademark CA, helping to size down the opponent's hand.

As for Ethan, he could have 2 models, one for the Human and one for the werewolf, a bit like a nephilim growing into a mature nephilim. Of course, once he grows into the monster form, he would be dangerous to all nearby models except friendly Miss Vanessa Ives.

Well, as you have jumped onto Vanessa, I'll post her as I have done the stuff for her anyway :P

Vanessa Ives: Henchman, Living, Coterie.

DF: 4 WP: 7 WND: 8 WK: 6 CG: - HT: 2

Manipulative 14: If this model has not yet activated this turn, when an enemy model targets this model with an Attack action, the enemy model must pass a TN: 14 WP duel or the action immediately fails.

Attack Actions:

Slap ML: 5 Rst: Df Rng 1 :melee Target suffers 1/1/1 damage. If Moderate damage is flipped the target gains the Slow condition. If severe damage is flipped, the target gains the paralysed condition.

Tactical actions:

(1) Your Fate is set: CA: 6 TN: 14 :crow Rst: WP Rng: 14"

Target cannot cheat fate until the end of the current turn

:tome: Fate Exposed: Target suffers :-fate to all duels till their next activation.

(1) Hold Your Place!: CA: 7 :tome TN: 14 :tome Rst: WP Rng 14"

Target gains the slow condition

:crow: Another Target within 4" also gains the slow condition

:tome :tome: Instead of slow, the target gains the Paralysed condition

(1) Summon Suffering: CA: 6 TN: 14 :crow

Summon a Suffering within 8"

(0) Shuffle fate: Discard and Draw up to 3 cards

(0) Guidence: CA: 4 TN: 12 Rng: 12"

Target friendly Coterie model within range gains either the focus: 1 or the Defensive: 1 Condition.

:tome: Immediately take this action again, it may not declare triggers.

Next up will be Ethan.     

@ Katedon

I think we have some missed wires over getting across what I want to get across with this crew, but for the most part I agree with your critiques. I do need to clean things up, and I feel once I produce the entire crew, the reasons for why I have done some things may become more clear. I really thank you for your input however, and once I post the entire crew I will go back and -really- look at what is wrong, or right, or busted.

Please continue to comment however, because I find it amazingly useful to not just have one blinkered vision of "how I would do it", but how other people can see this as a functional, if friendly only concept.

Yep, no worries! My suggestions aren't about capturing the feel of the show (since I haven't seen it), just clearing up potential ambiguities, removing unnecessary complexity or wording, adjusting power level, etc. I'm always keen to explore the implications of new game mechanics - the ability to declare two triggers, for instance, is a really intriguing addition to the game. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all comes together!

I hope after seeing Ms Ives you get the concept a touch more (and why I was more leaning towards her being the actual master, rather than Sir Malcolm).

Keep hammering on it however, critique is far, far more useful than "that's cool dude". I do not promise to take it all to heart, In fact I would be stupid to do so.

I really need to get Ethan done, because Malcolm, Vanessa and Ethan form the core of the crew.