Complex Terrain

drafterman

Question

Previous miniature games I played use "true LOS". You get down from the POV of the model firing/acting and if that model can truly see its target (torso/hull), then it can see the target. Cover is determined by percentage that's blocked (>=50%).

For better or for worse, Malifaux is more simplistic. Terrain pieces are given attributes, including height. LOS and cover is determined by the ability to draw imaginary lines from base-to-base.

But what about "complex" terrain? Single terrain pieces that have differing components, such as a wall with windows or parapets. If you classify the whole thing with a tall height and blocking, then it's as if those holes or or windows aren't there and the wall was solid. If you classify it as not blocking (or perhaps dense?) then you can shoot "through" it even if you're wholly behind solid sections of it and out of "true" sight.

How are situations like this played normally? Would you subdivide sections of the terrain and classify it differently? Or just go with a simplistic classification and leave it at that?

7 answers to this question

In many ways, its up to the players before the game begins.

I would recomend 1 of 2 ways. Either just ignore the windows as it makes life easier, or split the terrian up. If you are going to do that, so the window section is Ht 1, Hard Impassable (Or Climable if you want to climb through the window), I would suggest makign the inside of the room count as dense, so you can't line up shots right through the room.

I've never found terrain to slow the game down much myself, but then I'm never in so much of a hurry:)

Well, I love a lot of terrain, I just quit making it complex. I usually ignore windows, make stairs and such just open etc. I hate discussing terrain mid-game, so I like to keep it all simple and obvious. Rather have more terrain than complex pieces.

Surely a matter of taste, though.

• Like 1

Just to Echo what Dirial and Adran have stated.

Malifaux gives you some guidance on how to define terrain on page 60 & 61. They give examples but you are free to define any piece of terrain as you and your opponent see fit. The only exception is at a tournament where the Tournament Organzer has the ultimate authority if something is called into question by a player. 

So make it as complex or easy going as you want it. 

I am more of the same opinion as Dirial on how I define my terrain before a game. 

The main thing is that both players agree to the definition of each piece of terrain before the game starts. 

• Like 1