Questions about rules, from a first time player.

johnd37

Hi,

a friend and I, have got some crews together, read the rules, played some games and searched the web to answer things.

But I still have some rules, I am uncertain about.

1. Can a figure target it self, as a 'friendly figure' within range? (Disappearing act, for example).

2. Do I need Line of sight to, a target marker to use it? (Summoning needs LOS to the new figure, but how do Vantage points work with markers as they have no height.)

3. If you can ignore LOS, and Cover, can you shoot through all terrain even blocking ones like buildings?

4. Can a figure stop on a wall its climbing? And then continue on is next activation, or must it start from the ground each time.

Sorry if I am just missing where these details are explained, but I did not want to start playing the game wrong, and so get into bad habits.

John D.

Hi,

a friend and I, have got some crews together, read the rules, played some games and searched the web to answer things.

But I still have some rules, I am uncertain about.

1. Can a figure target it self, as a 'friendly figure' within range? (Disappearing act, for example).

2. Do I need Line of sight to, a target marker to use it? (Summoning needs LOS to the new figure, but how do Vantage points work with markers as they have no height.)

3. If you can ignore LOS, and Cover, can you shoot through all terrain even blocking ones like buildings?

4. Can a figure stop on a wall its climbing? And then continue on is next activation, or must it start from the ground each time.

Sorry if I am just missing where these details are explained, but I did not want to start playing the game wrong, and so get into bad habits.

John D.

1 - Yes. A character may target itself (with non-attack actions) as it is always friendly to itself. The only time they can't is when: The ability in question says they can't. It the ability says "other" friendly models. If the ability is a  :pulse pulse (which never effects the target from which it's emanating. I'm sure there are other situations when it cannot, but generally a target can just about always target itself as it is friendly to itself.

2 - If the ability says "target" such as "target corpse marker becomes a summoned creature" then you would need to have LoS to it. 

3 - Yes, so long as you can ignore the LoS restrictions. If you also can ignore the cover restrictions then ranged abilities with the  :ranged would not be effected by it (such as soft cover or hard cover giving  :-fate flips)

4 - That is a personal thing not specified in the rules specifically. It's something you and the opponent would have to agree upon during the setting up of terrain when you agree upon the terrain in use rules. For myself, I don't have a problem with it and would allow it, but that's me.

4: Yes you can. Climb able terrain is no different from any other terrain, and there are no rules stating you must complete the climb, nor that your model must end on terrain fully supporting the base. Barring any special rules climb able terrain is treated as any other piece off terrain and there are no rules requiring specific distances moved for terrain.

Correction to my post:  In my area, we play it that if you can't make it in one go, you can't climb it.  The reason for this is that anything we can not actually put our models on at a mid point we declare as unclimbable for simplicity's sake.  It makes measuring difficult if your model can't go where it has moved.  Its something you would define with your opponent at the start.  We've been playing it this way since the start of M2E so I thought it was an actual rule!

From the faq

Q: Can a model end its move halfway up a Climbable surface? Is it possible for the model to end its move suspended in mid-air if the base does not fit on the terrain, and the terrain has the Climbable trait?

A: Technically, yes. However, players define their own terrain before the game. It is likely best to only define things as “Climbable” which are actually Climbable (i.e. stairs, ladders, steep hills, etc). If you choose to define a sheer, vertical cliff as Climbable you can have the odd situation of a model suspended in mid-air, but this is no different than defining a solid, 6” tall rock as Severe terrain and then having difficulty in balancing your models on it; it likely should have just been defined as impassable, be careful how you define terrain.

• Like 1