Door Hinges

Gremlin guy

MalifauxOuthouseWIP2_zps34511a6c.jpg

MalifauxOuthouseWIP4_zps3f3a06d5.jpg

For the Outhouse above, I used some card with some 1/16" plastic rod for the hinge and for the ends of the bolt heads.  A little paint and there you go.

You could probably do the same thing with some cut-offs from a round tooth pick or even a dry noodle, but my experiments with noodles has proven to be more easily wrecked than the more non-edible building materials.  :P

-DavicusPrime

I'm afraid not.  Hadn't even thought about trying that.  If you creased the card that might work, but I'm thinking that would be unsatisfactory performance wise.  It would be an interesting project to make a working hinge using the same materials I've been using...  Use a pin vice to drill out the center of the hinge, cut it into two parts, then use a bit of wire as the pin and it would work.

All of the swamp shacks I've been making are so small, that I haven't been worried about doing anything with the interior of them.  Without an interior, having opening doors and/or transparent windows hasn't been something I've put any real thought into.

If I make a large structure with a playable interior, then I'll have to take all of that sort of thing into account.

-DavicusPrime

Thanks prof Bycid. I was on that site earlier and there are so many things I'd like to get... Ummm for my daughter, yeah. But seriously I briefly thought why don't I just by a miniatures house (not a doll house) from them. Then I remembered that this is fun. :) I think I'm going to cut two small pieces of plastic card and a small plastic dowel. Then drill a hole in the dowel and cut it in thirds. Glue one piece of dowel to one card and the other two pieces of dowel to the other card and connect it with a pinning rod.