new to malifaux

arkan

And if you decide to start Neverborn, you can't go wrong with Jacob Lynch- he is versatile , his thematic crew is quite good and he is relatively straight forward. His card manipulation abilities can be a great relief while learning the game. One of his drawbacks is the his box is light on points, but this is easily solvable by a box of beckoners. Another good NB starter master is Lilith, although she is a bit more tricky. It is quite easy to mistake her for a beatstick (at least for me in the beginning) , but she is much more than that.

Lilith "can" be a beat stick, but she's a very versatile toolbox guerrilla fighter. You hit the enemy where you want, when you want. She can give access to movement shenanigans, lures, melee prowess. Her forest she can summon (always an auto include for me in every list) is basically another model for me. I use it to enhance her lure (placing it where the enemy will walk into it), I use it to block LoS (both to and from my guys) and to slow down enemy movement and generally frustrate the opponent, forcing them to waste AP as they have to re-maneuver around/through it.

Her crew box and Lynch's crew box also work very well together. Her box contains very solid scheme runners (Terror Tots) which Lynch can take advantage of, while his box provides some of the best 7SS minions in the game (Illuminated) that can take a punch and give one just as good.

I chose Neverborn because I liked the artwork models of Pandora, Lilith, and Lynch. I started with Pandora because I thought her play style sounded interested (not the easiest to learn starting, but was well worth it and enjoyable) and expanded from there. Later I started looking at Zoraida, but more for her crew than her, as crew box had options I could put to good use in other Neverborn crews. Then I moved to Collodi, and found he was by far the hardest for me to learn, but ultimately my favorite of the bunch. The best part is, all of these crews can mix and mingle their models (some more optimally than others) as they are all in the same faction, so that helped. 

But, as I said in my original post, look through the Wiki and the artwork. Find the models/crews that appeal to you and go with them. Preferably choose a faction where multiple masters appeal to you in case you decide to expand (and once you start, you WILL want to expand :P ), that way your collections can compliment each other as any master/crew in a given faction can use any other model in that same faction, so it's easier to go from one master to another at the start without breaking the bank.

• Like 1