Couple of questions regarding Trixiebelle.

Vidd

Question

I've been leafing my way through the Crossroads book and was wondering about these two aspects of Trixiebelle:

1. Gremlin "Lure"

For Gremlin targets, it says they are moved rather than pushed. Does this mean that it does not have to be directly towards her nor must the movement be in a straight line?

2. Buy you a drink?

What is the purpose of the mask in the Ca value of this action? The target value requires Crows and it has no triggers.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Gave Trixiebelle's card another read and saw that Gremlin targets aren't pushed. I think I understand Gremlin "Lure" now but I've changed the question anyway.

11 answers to this question

To clarify a bit more, "toward" and "away" in Malifaux always mean "directly toward" and "directly away", center to center, unless the rule itself says differently.

Gremlin "Lure" movement is a direct line, regardless of whether the target is Gremlin or not. Push just ignores Severe terrain and stops on obstuctions, while "move" does not.

EDIT: As pointed out below, I am in fact wrong.

• Like 1

To clarify a bit more, "toward" and "away" in Malifaux always mean "directly toward" and "directly away", center to center, unless the rule itself says differently.

Gremlin "Lure" movement is a direct line, regardless of whether the target is Gremlin or not. Push just ignores Severe terrain and stops on obstuctions, while "move" does not.

Not quite. If walking around would get you closer than walking over/through then you will not go in a straight line.

• Like 2

Gremlin "Lure": "Target model is pushed

its Cg away from this model. If the target is a Gremlin, instead, it is moved its Cg
towards this model and must end the move as close to this model as possible."

This Action does not have Lure's normal wording. You cannot move around obstacles, since you must move "toward," which in Malifaux is "directly toward."

Normal Lure allows you to move around obstacles by saying "Move target model its Wk" - no direction stated - and having a requirement to end as close as possible.

Edit: All wrong - see below.

If the intention was to move it in a straight line, I don't understand why it wouldn't just say to "push" its charge distance, as with the non-Gremlin effect.

Ausplosion's interpretation was my gut instinct due to the fact that it says the movement must end as close as possible to Trixiebelle. If it was just a straight line, that's already implicit as it doesn't say to move "up to" the charge distance.

Still puzzled by that mask, too. :P I see she can benefit off the Lightning Bug's Leave it to Luck action, though

If the intention was to move it in a straight line, I don't understand why it wouldn't just say to "push" its charge distance, as with the non-Gremlin effect.

Maybe because they are completely different effects. Push doesn't count as a "move", ignores severe terrain penalties but stops immediately if the model reaches a climbable fence. Move on the other hand suffers the terrain penalties but the model can cross climbable terrain pieces.

This Action does not have Lure's normal wording. You cannot move around obstacles, since you must move "toward," which in Malifaux is "directly toward."

Is directly towards defined anywhere except in the context of pushes on p 43? If it isn't, "move towards" would have the natural language meaning of "towards" IMO.

• Like 1

That follows with my understanding as well.  Pushes in relation to a model are Directly towards/away, not in relation to a model they are a straight line.  There is no similar wording about moves that I am aware of, but I do not have my rule book with me at the moment to confirm.

Is directly towards defined anywhere except in the context of pushes on p 43? If it isn't, "move towards" would have the natural language meaning of "towards" IMO.

You are 100% right. "Move" effects with a given direction are just so rare (I've only found 1 in the whole game - "Lure"), I had completely forgotten that "towards / away" is only defined with pushes.

My bad!

Now all that remains is explaining the Mask in her casting value for Buy You a Drink?"...

Likely, it's design space. Trixie is not the only model with a suit that doesn't do anything at the moment. Future upgrades may add a use for the suit, if Justin feels like it.