Oiran in the Guild

Pyrflamme

I'm looking at picking up some Guild crews in the next few months to expand my Malifaux collection (primarily TT right now). I just recently bought McCabe and have Lady Justice from a while back. I'll probably also be snagging Lucius within the month for Guardsmen with McCabe.

Since I have Lady Justice and McCabe provides specific benefits to Minions (Black Flash, Promises + upgrade slinging providing bonuses they wouldn't normally get), I was looking over the Death Marshals when I noticed Pine Box asks for a WP vs WP duel, with DMs having a base 6 WP. Obviously Lady Justice can help that a little with her totem, bringing them to a solid 7 WP.

It then occurred to me that Oiran also provide a +1 WP bonus to friendly models, and I was wondering if Oiran would be an interesting mercenary candidate for Guild, especially with stuff like the Death Marshals that benefit greatly from WP boosts, bringing them to 7 WP in non-LJ crews and a remarkable 8 WP in LJ crews, almost assuredly keeping whatever nasty you've boxed, boxed.

Positives:

-WP boost to Pine Box duel

-WP boost in general

-Lure suit requirement alleviated a bit by low Guild demand for Crows

-Guild Tome demand also slightly lower, although still valued by many Guild models, allowing her to get trigger on her first melee attack

-Six soulstones even hiring as a mercenary, relatively cheap

Negatives

-Squishy even with Disguised and Defensive Stance.

-Even if Guild doesn't necessarily need Crows, you'll probably need to be pitching a high card period unless using her to shuffle friendly models around

It might just be crazy enough to try.

If you want to get really silly, if Hannah duplicated Pine Box, you could actually bump it to the absurd WP 10 under LJ and an Oiran, meaning no unmodified WP could get out (though if they're smart they'll have a card ready to prevent the spell).

However, I'm not much of a fan of them, so, IDK if it's particularly worth it. tricks like that are only something I go for if I already feel like I'm getting mileage out of the minis individually.

Oiran are great utility models, although the lack of synergy with Guild means they don't get buffed like they can with Colette or Misaki. In addition to the WP buff, they have a defensive lure (good for breaking positioning and falling damage, if you can get it), an attack that adds poison, and Flutter (1/1/4 cascading attack).

I've had good luck with them against gunlines and Flutter can annihilate minions if you get lucky (and enforcers or higher if you have the cards to cheat). They're good scheme runners and you can easily fit one or two into a Guild list.

Oiran are great utility models, although the lack of synergy with Guild means they don't get buffed like they can with Colette or Misaki. In addition to the WP buff, they have a defensive lure (good for breaking positioning and falling damage, if you can get it), an attack that adds poison, and Flutter (1/1/4 cascading attack).

I've had good luck with them against gunlines and Flutter can annihilate minions if you get lucky (and enforcers or higher if you have the cards to cheat). They're good scheme runners and you can easily fit one or two into a Guild list.

Funny thing: Oiran don't really have any more synergy with Colette than every other minion in game. There is only one very corner case situation where they can "benefit" from their Showgirl characteristic.

I also would not recommend taking 6ss models that are worse at scheme running than Death Marshals as scheme runners.