I did a review/assembly video on the new Malifaux terrain.

EngineerJeff

So I picked up one of each of the new PlastCraft terrain kits and so far, I'm impressed.  They're made of a thin foamcore punch-out material and aside from the fact that I'm covered in zap-a-gap after assembling this first piece, (my coordination is less-than-optimal), it was a fun build.  I recommend these kits for people in need of terrain that have decent building skills.  Check out the video and let me know what you think!

Now I gotta get my Marcus crew built and painted and some vassal games going in preparation for AdeptiCon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0UhxLJ5HeI

• Like 3

How strong is the plastic when you have it built and all painted up. It looked really wobbly in the video. Also if you dropped it would it bounce or snap apart. Don't drop yours just asking what you think would happen. :P

My initial impression of it was that it was very flimsy.  I took some of the extra flash and was able to snap it between my fingers without much effort.  That said, upon assembly I think its plenty durable.  Once interconnected, the box structure of it seems to reinforce itself pretty well and make for something much sturdier than I initially thought.  The thin bits that stick out are also a concern, but they are generally reinforced with a second layer or two in the kit I put together, so they get thick enough it should be fine.  I'd avoid dropping a large based metal model on them though.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is the material easily marked if something were pressed into it?

-DavicusPrime

That depends a bit on what you mean.  I can absolutely scratch into it with a knife, but it seems to have enough spring that squeezing it between my fingers doesn't seems to easily mash it.  It feels to me a bit like extremely dense foam in terms of what happens when I cut, tear, or smash it.

What glue works on it?

I have been meaning to pick up some of this terrain, as I like the way it looks and I really want to add walkways to my terrain for a 3rd dimension in gameplay.  But until now I never noticed that it was a pvc foamcore and I thought it was etched plasticard.  I am guessing that plastic-weld glues won't work on this.

I've been building some of the Infinity Bourak terrain lately, but this stuff is on my list for when I start putting my Malifaux board together.

Absolutely use superglue. It doesn't bond the join like plastic cement, but it's a very fast, very strong join. The join is stronger than the material, even on just a 2mm wall join, so no worry of the join coming apart.

The material is flimsy when you're building it. It's foamed PVC, not MDF or HIPS. It bends and snaps easily. However, once built, the terrain is sturdy enough for gaming. Just be careful how you store it, really.

I've really become a convert to this material. Because it's not as rigid as HIPS or MDF, it's got more give allowing for curved architecture, rather than the city of lego blocks MDF terrain winds up looking like. Plastcraft are pretty clever with using edging to hide unsightly joins. Also, when building, I really like to just crack on and finish things, and PVA with MDF takes too long for my impatient self to wait on. And really, I just don't find much HIPS terrain around these days.