Questions from a beginner.

wana10

Question

Played a fun game last night but had a couple questions that I was hoping someone could help with. Just wanted to make sure that we played everything correctly.

1) I was playing with Yan lo against Lady J and had chosen Frame for murder, subsequently choosing Izamu as my patsy. I ran him up the middle straight at Lady J and she obligingly cut him down into tiny little pieces. Now, seeing as this was turn 2 and she was a master I claimed the full 3vp. Then next turn Yan lo pointed at a nicely placed corpse marker and Izamu returned to the field. Do I still get the points even though Izamu came back to life? We played as though I did as the requirements stated in frame for murder were satisfied at the time. 

2) If someone casts a spell that is resisted with WP, but doesn't reach the TN, does the defending model still make a WP flip?

3) So, Izamu is back on the table staring down the Judge. Chiaki removes his slow and heals him and my opponent slides the Scales in front of the Judge to protect from the oncoming charge. I charge anyways because if i'm standing right next to the Scales Izamu is within 3 inches of the Judge. I can draw both line of site lines from Izamu's wider base around the Scales to the Judge, and Izamu is HT 3 whereas the Scales are HT 2. Fromt what i found in the rulebook cover only applies to ranged attacks so I played it as being free to unload my charge melee attacks and my melee expert attack on the Judge, ignoring the Scales completely. Was this correct?

4) Cheating in opposed duels; If the losing player in an opposed duel elects not to cheat, can they change their mind if the winning player cheats? example; Izamu swings and flips a 13, my opponent flips a low card and elects not to cheat. I cheat in a lower card but that has a tome to hit the trigger allowing me to draw a card if i cheat the damage flip. Can my opponent then decide to cheat the defense at that point or had they already forfeited the ability to cheat at the beginning?

Thank you for the help

12 answers to this question

1- that's technically a new Izamu, and like you said, you already met the requirements so you'd keep your points. (However, if you were bodyguarding him and brought him back, that'd be a new one so wouldn't count as the first surviving later.)

2- defender flips, but the attacker will fail unless they beat TN and defender

3- Unless I'm misunderstanding, you did that right

4- No, they can't.

Played a fun game last night but had a couple questions that I was hoping someone could help with. Just wanted to make sure that we played everything correctly.

1) I was playing with Yan lo against Lady J and had chosen Frame for murder, subsequently choosing Izamu as my patsy. I ran him up the middle straight at Lady J and she obligingly cut him down into tiny little pieces. Now, seeing as this was turn 2 and she was a master I claimed the full 3vp. Then next turn Yan lo pointed at a nicely placed corpse marker and Izamu returned to the field. Do I still get the points even though Izamu came back to life? We played as though I did as the requirements stated in frame for murder were satisfied at the time.

2) If someone casts a spell that is resisted with WP, but doesn't reach the TN, does the defending model still make a WP flip?

3) So, Izamu is back on the table staring down the Judge. Chiaki removes his slow and heals him and my opponent slides the Scales in front of the Judge to protect from the oncoming charge. I charge anyways because if i'm standing right next to the Scales Izamu is within 3 inches of the Judge. I can draw both line of site lines from Izamu's wider base around the Scales to the Judge, and Izamu is HT 3 whereas the Scales are HT 2. Fromt what i found in the rulebook cover only applies to ranged attacks so I played it as being free to unload my charge melee attacks and my melee expert attack on the Judge, ignoring the Scales completely. Was this correct?

4) Cheating in opposed duels; If the losing player in an opposed duel elects not to cheat, can they change their mind if the winning player cheats? example; Izamu swings and flips a 13, my opponent flips a low card and elects not to cheat. I cheat in a lower card but that has a tome to hit the trigger allowing me to draw a card if i cheat the damage flip. Can my opponent then decide to cheat the defense at that point or had they already forfeited the ability to cheat at the beginning?

Thank you for the help

1: For ALL intents and purposes, it is a new Izamu.

2: You flip.

Defender Flips.

Lowest total (loser) chooses whether to cheat.

Winner Cheats.

Check to see who won.

If attacker wins, check to see if you met TN.

If yes, spell works.

If not, spell fails.

3: IF Izamu was in his 3" melee range of an enemy model, then he cannot charge because he is engaged.

4: They cant cheat later.

• Like 1

Izamu started the charge unengaged. Does the charge stop as soon as he hits his 3" range, does is stop when I hit the enemy melee range, or can I continue to the full distance of the charge allowing me to get closer to the Scales to swing at the Judge behind? (that I could see over the scales and declare a charge on)

edit* this leads to another question. Can I use a walk to move around in an enemies melee bubble without triggering disengaging strikes so long as I don't leave the bubble?

No, you only have to end a charge within your charge range, with the target within your engagement range. You can freely pass through engagement ranges during a charge. So, Izamu, no engaged, charges the Judge, who he can see, despite the Scales, and ends the charge with the Judge in his engagement range (anywhere within 3"), Izamu gets to make his attacks. A Ht 2 model can't block LoS from Izamu to the Judge, as Izamu is Ht 3, just like a Ht 2 model can see a Ht 1 model behind a Ht 1 wall.

However, if the charging model were Ht 2 and on a 30mm base, the intervening model were Ht 3, and on a larger base, it would be possible for the intervening model (depending on positioning) to block line of sight, thus preventing the charge.

Yes, you can absolutely walk around enemy engagement ranges. While difficult to measure, it is technically possible for a model to walk in a perfect circle, though it's rarely necessary to do so. You also don't need to worry about it...because you can walk through an engagement range without triggering a disengaging strike. Disengaging Strikes only happen when the model attempting a Wk action starts the action within the engagement range of an enemy and intends to leave it as a part of the Wk action. 

You can definitely do the latter. You have to announce if you want to leave engagement when you declare the walk.

Certainly can. Disengagement strikes only trigger if you try to leave their melee range. Not if you do other things, including walking around in their melee range.

Disengaging strikes don't trigger when you leave enagagement, but when you declare the action with the intent to leave. That's a common error. I'm sure you meant it that way, but just to clarify.

In regard to the former, you can charge as far as you want, as long as you end the move with your charge target in engagement range. You can only declare a charge if you are unengaged.