Lady J, my first ever miniatures

Ian Campbell

Thanks guys!

When I first got the models, I immediately dove right in, glued them together and threw them on the base without even thinking about fancying it up at all. After I finished I realized how plain and boring the bases look! I really don't know anything about basing, so I'm completely open to suggestions  :D

PVA glue and sand is always a good place to start with bases. Paint the glue on (watered down a little bit) then dip the base in a pot of sand. Wait for it to dry then shake off the excess. After that, paint it with several thin layers of whatever colour you want and drybrush to highlight. 

Check out youtube for loads of tutorials and ideas. 

Also, great paint job. Nice and clean.  

If you go down the sand route, seal it after glueing with some watered down pva. The sand should soak it up like a sponge, you'll know if its still too thick if it just sits on top.

I would:

1. Paint the inside of the base with PVA, be careful around the feet, you can always wipe off any unwanted splatters with a small piece of towel or your finger!

2. Dip the base into some sand. There are loads of different grades and types out there, don't be afraid to go outside the box eg/ try a pet store (fish tank gravel can be good).

3. Gently shake off any excess sand and tidy up any lose grains that look out of place.

4. Allow to dry.

5. Seal with watered down PVA, it should look and bahave like milk when it's watered down enough.

6. Allow to dry. DON'T be tempted to start painting before it's dried, you'll end up pulling off all the sand you just added and leave horrible messy gaps everywhere.

7. Paint the colour of your choice.

8. Add grass/leaves to taste to add further interest to your bases.

This is a basic recipie for simple bases. Once you've gotten a bit more experience, you can try adding larger pieces of stone, or start sculpting cobblestones, tree stumps, anything you can think of!

Hope that helps!

• Like 1

The models look good, especially for a first go.

My critique falls into the photo realm. 1) Try to get a front facing light. Many of your models details are obscured by shadows. 2) Also, if you camera has it, try to use your macro function. It will really help with the focus on these smaller objects.

Doing these two simple steps will help a lot.